Fishing IR

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

jeeptjgreen
NewbieCake

Fishing IR

Post by jeeptjgreen »

My friend and I are planning a canoe/fishing trip to IR this June 2011. We have never been to the island and are looking for advice on the best itinerary for fishing. We only have about 4 full days on the island and are looking for most efficient use of our time. We have no problem with the difficulties of portages. Can walleye be caught in the bays open to Superior or is it mainly trout and pike fishing? Thanks for any advice.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Fishing IR

Post by Ingo »

I don't know of walleye in Superior, but as you said, lake trout, pike, and salmon.

Best option is to take the Voyageur II from Grand Portage, and go from McCargo Cove to Chippewa across the inland lakes. There's pike in McCargo Cove, or paddle to end and fish Brady Bay, famous for northerns. I think virtually all of the lakes have perch and northern. Whittlesey is known for the best walleye fishing and Chickenbone has some too. Siskiwit also has lake trout.

If you must come from Michigan with only 4 days, I'd say portage across to the north side and fish the bays. I can't give much specific advice, cause I don't catch many, but I've seen enough, and eaten enough :D that others have. Have seen several 20+ lb northerns pulled from that area, somewhere at the end of some bay--that's about all I could get.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
jeeptjgreen
NewbieCake

Post by jeeptjgreen »

We live in Michigan and will be coming over from Houghton or most likely Copper Harbor. Would love to take the Voyager II but its really not an option for this trip. Looks like the best plan is to stay on north east end of island and fish the bays like you said. Thank you
colvinch
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by colvinch »

Water taxi to chippewa and start from there. This way you have all the inland lakes to fish and better chance at catching fish on these lakes that the Superior waters.
I usually only have 4 nights out in the bush and one at rock harbor and we go from chippewa to Belle Isle in that time.
jeeptjgreen
NewbieCake

Post by jeeptjgreen »

Can you reserve the taxi and will it be waiting at Rock Harbor so we can get to Chippewa Harbor fairly quickly? I originally thought about a taxi to Chippewa, portage to Whittlesey, Wood, Siskiwit, Intermediate, Richey and to Moskey basin. Is that doable in 4 days with time to fish. What about the paddle from Moskey to Rock Harbor on our last day, looks long. Probably depends on wind???

This itninerary seems much better for the fishing but a little more work.
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

I think the possibility of having the taxi reserved and waiting to go when you arrive, should most likely be directed to those that run the service. Try and contact them?

You're right about the "more work", and "time to fish?". My thoughts are that, it may be a lot of paddling and not too much fishing.

Last year(AUG/SEPT) Lake Richie and Chickenbone lakes had an algae bloom; it was encouraged to "not drink the water", and "don't eat the fish". I'm not sure if the algae will return by your June timeframe, or even at all. Another of those, "contact before you go scenarios".

Perhaps, taxi to CH and fish there, portage to Lake Whittlesey and fish there, back to CH for an arranged pick-up from the taxi. You would have plenty of time for fishing, much more leisurely itinerary, and a good chance for catching walleye, pike, perch, salmon/trout? You will need a full Michigan fishing license for CH, or any of the Superior waters.

Good luck in your planning, and trip. :)
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

jeeptjgreen wrote:Can you reserve the taxi and will it be waiting at Rock Harbor so we can get to Chippewa Harbor fairly quickly? I originally thought about a taxi to Chippewa, portage to Whittlesey, Wood, Siskiwit, Intermediate, Richey and to Moskey basin. Is that doable in 4 days with time to fish. What about the paddle from Moskey to Rock Harbor on our last day, looks long. Probably depends on wind???

This itninerary seems much better for the fishing but a little more work.
You definitely need to reserve the water taxi. Here's the link to the lodge that runs it: http://foreverlodging.com/lodging.cfm?PropertyKey=75 My understanding is that they're pretty good at getting you there quickly. Of course everything on the island is weather dependent.

For an idea of times, consider 4 not in great shape 40 something brothers, and a 70 yr old dad. We made 2 trips on the portages.
Chippewa Harbor to Wood Lake, <4 hrs.
Wood Lake to Richie, 4 hrs. w/ lunch and strong winds on Siskiwit.

Richie to Moskey is a 2+ mile portage, so 2 trips is 6-7 miles hiking. Give yourself a few hrs.
It's about 10 miles from Moskey to R.H. I plan 2 mph and that's usually conservative. If you have a strong NE wind you probably won't be very happy by the time you get to R.H., but I think allowing 5 hrs is reasonable for paddling straight thru. Have you read the thread about fishing the entrance to Moskey? Others have had good luck there.

(I keep forgetting about that water taxi thing :) Never have done it myself).
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
jeeptjgreen
NewbieCake

Post by jeeptjgreen »

Thanks everyone for the advice. Our goal is to get as much fishing in as possible so the taxi at least one way looks like the way to go.