Kayaking TO Isle Royale

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

mrpecan
NewbieCake

Kayaking TO Isle Royale

Post by mrpecan »

Hi, I'm interested in kayaking to Isle Royale if the weather is right. I have read alot of these posts, and it doesn't seem like many people choose to kayak to the island. I would want to leave from Grand Portage, in case the weather is bad I could use the ferry. Does anybody have experience with this? The couple of stories I found on the web made it seem like a cakewalk--they barely mentioned the crossing.
I'm an intermediate paddler--did a solo to the Apostles last year. Please let me know if you have any thoughts or information about attempting this crossing.
Thank you.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Kayaking TO Isle Royale

Post by johnhens »

I have not kayaked from GP, know a few who have. Most start at the Pigeon river Border crossing. You need to be in good shape and have a solid weather window to do it. A VHF would be good. You also need to know you will be crossing the shipping lanes, the big ore carriers ect will probably not be able to see. I would not do it alone though others have. There are a couple of paddling sites where folks have posted of their experiences.
Nick
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by Nick »

John and Ann Mahan (www.sweetwatervisions.com) do it frequently in their tandem. I believe they come in from Canada as the trip is shorter. If you get in any kind of trouble out there, rescue is a long way off. But remember, if you get out, there is no guarantee you will get back. On my last trip, I could have paddled out, but I don't think I could have gotten back for the better part of two weeks. I, personally, enjoy the ride and the flexibility of the Voyageur.
Damon S
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Damon S »

I've paddled the island quite a bit and know others who have crossed. I think it's a great idea but I wouldn't take it on unless you have a solid roll in conditions and all the necessary rescue skills/equipment.
mrpecan
NewbieCake

Post by mrpecan »

Thank you all for your input. I definitely hadn't considered the shipping lanes. I do realize the weather would have to cooperate. This is a broad question, but what is the weather typically like in late May? I kayaked in Johnstone Strait off Vancouver Island, and there was a wind called the williwaws. It came up out of nowhere after a beautiful calm, clear day, and pinned me in a tiny bay for a day and night. Is the weather on Lake Superior similarly unpredictable? Or will the weather radio warn you in advance?

Also, do you have any suggestions on what type of VHF/weather radio to purchase?
Damon S
Trailblazer

Post by Damon S »

Weather on Lake Superior is certainly unpredictable. The whole region seems to produce it's own weather center that can change things very quickly, much opposite of what some forecasts, especially wind directions will call for.

I believe late May would be a fairly stable weather pattern approaching June, however, it can be quite cold. Water temps will still be frigid.

I can remember when I was kayaking far out on the Apostle Islands and just by looking at the sky...things didn't seem that bad. I had already received several NOAA forecasts for the day. Looking down at my watch, I noticed a huge pressure change on my barometer...things were taking a nosedive pretty fast. I still couldn't believe weather was approaching, but as I looked at my wife, I mentioned my concerns and knew we still had a fair crossing to get to the North side of Manitou Island where we were going to camp. Something told me to turn my VHF/weather on. The first thing I heard was the alarm blaring. Weird. Report stated gale force winds, tornado activity and winds gusting to 60 mph were already on the western half of Lake Superior. If you've ever paddled the Apostles....it's damn close to the western shoreline. Report further indicated the speed of the storm...a quick, albeit rough math estimate in my head gave us roughly 8 or so minutes. It hit us in 6 minutes and very hard.

Not saying this to scare you, you just need to be prepared, have the proper equipment and KNOW how to use it.

I've always used ICOM VHF radios and love them. No problems and very durable. Carry them right on my PFD so I have quick access.

Damon...
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

DO NOT attempt it in late May without a drysuit and a radio (and luck). Water temps will probably be very near freezing.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
Damon S
Trailblazer

Post by Damon S »

Mrpecan, also....

you mentioned you were an intermediate paddler, I would have to ask you (in order to provide a more accurate response), what your experience has really been. There are many paddlers out there that do some major crossings, but in my opinion, they have no business committing to such involvement, especially solo. If things went bad, self rescue would be a major feat. The paddle to Isle Royale would be a very enjoyable, but you need to have good experience in rough water/conditions to complete the crossing. Sure, conditions could be dead calm and completely uneventful, but that's not what we train and prepare for.

And yes, late may or any crossing of that magnitude in cold water definitely requires a dry suit.

Damon...
fredthefrog
NewbieCake

Post by fredthefrog »

Along this same topic. There is a guy here that claims to have kayaked TO IR from Keweenaw in the early nineties (no GPS). This guy doesn't seem to the type and we think he's BSing (including some relatively experieinced paddlers). I'm kind of curious; how long would this take? would an experienced open water crosser have a good chance of hitting the island (sans GPS)? Has anyone heard of anyone doing this?

FTF
Damon S
Trailblazer

Post by Damon S »

fredthefrog wrote:Along this same topic. There is a guy here that claims to have kayaked TO IR from Keweenaw in the early nineties (no GPS). This guy doesn't seem to the type and we think he's BSing (including some relatively experieinced paddlers). I'm kind of curious; how long would this take? would an experienced open water crosser have a good chance of hitting the island (sans GPS)? Has anyone heard of anyone doing this?

FTF
Yes I have heard of people doing this. In fact, I was on the island doing a circumnavigation in 2006 and spoke to a couple of boaters who ran into 2 kayakers that claimed to have crossed from Copper Harbor. Took them a day and half I believe. Fisherman recalled seeing them pull off their drysuits and remove the diapers they wore over on the crossing. I would entertain the idea, but I'm not interested in wearing a diaper for that long :)