Planning 1st trip to IR, want to include Ryan Island

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

happycamper
NewbieCake

Planning 1st trip to IR, want to include Ryan Island

Post by happycamper »

Thanks to all who have been posting here! It has been fun and educational to look over the old posts. We are planning family trip --two adults and a 9 and 11 year old-- to IR in late July 2011. We are experienced backpackers, but not so much with the canoe. We would like it to be a canoe trip, but our canoe experience is limited and has always been in pretty calm waters. We are avoiding Lake Superior. Our plan is to arrive in RH on a Tuesday (via Ranger III), rent a canoe, take a water taxi to Malone Bay, portage to Siskiwit Lake and camp in Wood Lake Tuesday night. Wednesday explore Ryan Island, portage from Siskiwit to Intermediate Lake, and then portage to Lake Richie Canoe campground where we stay Wednesday night. Thursday night camp at Moskey Basin. Friday night camp at RH. Depart on Saturday via Ranger III.

It feels like a rushed schedule to me. Going to Ryan Island (the biggest island in the biggest lake on the biggest island in the biggest lake in the world), is a high priority for the trip. I thought if we could take a water taxi to Malone Bay that would make the trip more relaxed, but it still feels rushed to me. Any suggestions?
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: Planning 1st trip to IR, want to include Ryan Island

Post by Midwest Ed »

Even though you are planning to avoid being in open Lake Superior water there are two sections where wind and weather could throw you a wild pitch. Siskiwit Lake is large enough that strong winds or even light but prevailing wind can stir up a significant chop that might keep you shore bound awhile. Also, the paddle from Moskey Basin to Rock Harbor in a single day might be a struggle if there is a prevailing head wind.

If you don’t mind a second water taxi (they can be quite expensive) you might consider Moskey Basin or even Chippewa Harbor as a final destination; or maybe start at one of those two and then make your way to Malone Bay as a final destination. Both Chippewa and Moskey are beautiful and sheltered from most wind.

I don’t know where you are driving from but if you could depart from Minnesota instead of Michigan the Voyager II can pick up and drop off at any of those locations resulting in a lot less total money spent than using water taxis. You’d be spending the first night in Rock Harbor but that first afternoon you could use to get your sea legs and explore Rock and Tobin Harbors. You might even have time to paddle across Tobin Harbor and hike up to Lookout Louise. You’d also get a more complete view of the Island as you circumnavigate it coming and going. Another good option would be to get dropped off at McCargoe Cove and then get picked up at Malone Bay.

Given the ages of your kids I am assuming you are planning on one canoe. Make sure the rental you are setting up is rated for your total load. Some canoes available might not be rated for two adults and two children. Also, I’d suggest you check into bringing your own personal flotation devices. I don’t know the rental status of them and fitting kids properly can be difficult.

No matter your final choices you will all have a great experience.

~Ed
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
colvinch
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by colvinch »

The waters in Siskwit can be quite tricky. First year paddling from Wood to Intermediate Lake we got stranded at the channel on wood lake for 4 hours, before we thought it was calm enough...bad idea. waves from a distant seem so small. We got into some 3 foot rollers out there and friends got knocked off course and stranded on a point for a few hours more.
Last year we had great weather but once we decided to go for it the wind picked up and so did the rollers, not a problem but made it a difficult paddle. Non stop paddling for at least an hour with little relief from the off shore islands.
I have wanted to go to Ryan Island myself but once I saw how far from wood lake and protected waters it is I decided against it. Coming from the other direction you will probably have a much easier time getting there but going west could be problematic. If you have good weather it would be a great day but any wind on that lake can make an easy paddle difficult, on a calm day it would probably take about an hour to paddle from Wood to Ryan Island.

we had a rental from rock harbor in our group last year and it was a fast canoe but liked to take on water, had a hole so big in it there were leeches inside the canoe....luckily for a little wax from some cheese and duct tape we were able to slow the leak, check out your ride before you start your trip
happycamper
NewbieCake

Post by happycamper »

Thanks for all the suggestions! It felt like the initial plan was too ambitious and the tip to get a ride back (via Voyager or taxi) from Chippewa make sense. After reading the feedback and researching all the costs and considering the water in Siskiwit Lake etc., we have a new and hopefully much-improved plan. Tuesday: arrive in RH via Ranger III, rent canoe (inspect canoe!!!), water taxi to Chippewa Harbor, portage to Lake Whittlesey, camp in Lake Whittlesey campground. Wednesday and Thursday: explore and fish in Lake Whittlesey, Wood Lake, Siskiwit Lake with a goal of exploring Ryan Island. Thursday afternoon, portage back to Chippewa Harbor. Thursday night, camp at Chippewa Harbor campground. Friday morning: water taxi back to Rock Harbor, return canoe, set up camp, hike around Rock Harbor. Sounds much more fun and increases our chances of having time to pick berries, fish, explore, etc. Also, if the weather is rough, we can avoid Siskiwit Lake altogether. Would love to hear any additional feedback, including whether you would recommend staying put in Lake Whittlesey campground for 2 nights and use as a base, or one night in Whittlesey and one night in Wood Lake. Thank you for improving our summer vacation!!!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Sounds like a good plan to me! I haven't stayed at Whittlesey, but it looked nice paddling by and know others have liked it. Wood Lake, however, is beautiful, you can watch the sunset over Siskiwit and it would give you a wider window of opportunity to get to Ryan Island. The nice thing is that you don't have to have a set plan and can change it on the fly.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
head2north
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by head2north »

If I had a choice between your original itinerary and the revised, I would select the latter and only because of the portage between Lake Richie and Moskey Basin. Lake Siskiwit is unpredictable and the large expanse can create some sweeping waves, but USAULLY it is a wind coming from the west. In this case, USUALLY hugging the southern shore from Malone Bay on travel to Wood Lake offers a manageable course. It is the paddling between Wood Lake Camp and the portage to Intermediate that can create weather dependant issues.

Anyways, Whittlesey is charming and Wood Lake is considered the Prime camp for the inland lake canoe route. With extra layover days, they both offer backcountry bushwhacking opportunities other than Ryan Island. I have hiked to both Greenstone Beach from Whittlesey and Little Greenstone Beach accessed off-trail from the middle of the portage between Whittlesey and Wood. Greenstone Beach from Whittlesey being the easiest - a ten minute hike if your know the route.

Have caught many walleye on Whittlesey and Lake Trout on Siskiwit if fishing floats your boat.

I love this route, J
"Now I see the secret of making the best person: it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with earth" - Walt Whitman
robin621
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Post by robin621 »

Lots of adventure! I had a nice chunk of time set aside last year to take on Siskiwit and Wood Lake, however, the water/waves can be unpredictable. We had to wait 1 day and a half for the wind to slow up. We finally braved it and had to chill out on a rocky point until dark. Soft rollers felt like a buckin' bronco! We made it to Wood Lake just before the sun set. I thought snuggin' the edge of Siskiwit would help...it didn't. The weather can be very bossy.