Howdy/trip comments

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

Mastertangler
NewbieCake

Howdy/trip comments

Post by Mastertangler »

I'm new in these parts and thought I would say howdy and see if some of the vets might comment on my proposed route this summer. I thank you in advance.

Most of my trips are built around fishing so any help/subtle hints are appreciated. I usually go to the Quetico or Georgian Bay. I have been wanting to do the Isle ever since I backpacked it many years ago and found it truly exceptional.

Well here's how it looks on paper. Any comments pro or con are appreciated. Entry date June 20
Day 1) ferry over, hang out in Tobin and troll for lakers
Day 2) Inter-island ferry to Chippewa harbor.........proceed to whittlesly
Day 3) night on Wood or intermediate
Day 4) Night on Ritchie
Day 5) Night on Chickenbone
Day 6) Night on Birch island of pickerel bay (if she lets us through)
Day 7) Lane cove or Duncan
Day 8) rock harbor

I will likely throw in a rest day or two somewheres along the way. We are in canoes BTW
Thanks again, glad to have found the site.

MT
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Howdy/trip comments

Post by johnhens »

HI MA,
Welcome to the forums.
I would spend the night at Wood, better fishing there and on Siskiwit.
(When are you going?)

John
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Couple thoughts:
Agree with JohnH on Wood Lake. Maybe the nicest inland lake site.
We got layed over on Birch Island for a day due to wind, and it could have easily been 2. That's your only stretch of completely open water, so take the window of opportunity if/when it's there. In light of that, you may want to skip Chickenbone and go straight to McCargoe or Birch Island. Would be a longer day, but not too bad given your experience. But you can play it as you go.
Brady Cove behind Birch Island is supposed to be great northern fishing.
If by inter-island ferry you mean the water taxi from the lodge, I would go straight to Chippewa the day you get off the boat. This would give you an extra day in the backcountry, and you could hit Tobin at the end. If you mean the Voyageur II, then it's a moot point.

Have great trip!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Kevinl »

It looks like a good time. Ditto what the others have said. Those guys know their stuff. I've had luck fishing around and between the islands on Whittlesey, Richie, and the east end of Siskiwit. At Wood Lake CG, you can fish (from shore) the deep channel between lakes with potential. The fishing shouldn't be much different, as far as locations and technique, from your Quetico experiences. Have fun.
Mastertangler
NewbieCake

Post by Mastertangler »

Interesting thoughts added to the mix.........

I hadn't considered the water taxi instead of the voyager 2. Might make for a long 1st day but would probably be able to set up and hit the evening walleye bite on Whittisley.

Wood lake is nice? Perhaps just a short jaunt and another day of fishing. Let my crew get it out of there blood a little. What should I concentrate on in Siskiwit? No walleye in wood or Siskiwit correct?

Ritchie to McCargo would be a long day would it not? I had thought of stopping at Chickenbone instead. McCargo is nice?

I have not heard anything about walleyes in the five finger region. I will try for them in spite of not hearing anything. Why do I think some double digit eyes are likely there?

The guide book I have says nothing about reserving campsites. I suppose I should check the National Park website before posing this question but are reservations needed for the backcountry canoe sites. If not, what has been your experience in finding open sites? We're late june......prime time.

BTW....just a gentle correction, it's MT not MA. A common mistake on some of the other forums I hang out in. I would never claim to be a Master Angler............Master Tangler is a more befitting description :D
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

Hi!

No reservations - all campsites are first come, first served unless you are in a group of 7-10 people.

Late June is actually not prime time on the Island - that is mid-July through mid-August. You will not likely have any problem with campsites, although you can't count on a shelter.

Lake Ritchie to McCargoe is 6.3 miles by trail - less when portaging, but you would be missing out on some fishing along the way.

Wood Lake is beautiful. McCargoe is very nice and scenic and has shelters.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

We did McCargoe to Richie in about 6 hrs (reverse direction). That was 4 experienced but out of shape 40 somethings and a 70 yr old father. Since you don't need reservations, you can see how you feel at Chickenbone.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
head2north
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by head2north »

Hey MT,

You can opt to move on from Whittlesey AND camp on new territory on Siskiwit AND remain within
striking distance if you wish to return for some more eyes. From your first stroke from Wood Lake
Camp you could be fishing on Whittlesey again in half an hour. The portage between Whittlesey
and Wood is fairly easy.

J
Mastertangler
NewbieCake

Post by Mastertangler »

Ingo wrote:We did McCargoe to Richie in about 6 hrs (reverse direction). That was 4 experienced but out of shape 40 somethings and a 70 yr old father. Since you don't need reservations, you can see how you feel at Chickenbone.
Geez, No prob.
I have learned to be leery of underestimating distances and time frames in new places. Our first time in Algonquin I worked up a loop I thought would be fine and dandy and it ended up being the "marathon" trip with precious little time to fish and scheduled rest days were used to keep up and stay on schedule. DOH!
robin621
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Post by robin621 »

Shore fish from the Wood Lake campsite (where Siskiwit and Wood meet). There is a lot of room for casting etc... I catch quite a few nice Pike throwing a deep diver and big top waters. They really liked small yellow rooster tails last year. Awesome campsite!!!
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Mastertangler wrote:BTW....just a gentle correction, it's MT not MA. A common mistake on some of the other forums I hang out in. I would never claim to be a Master Angler............Master Tangler is a more befitting description :D
Ah, I missed the "T"