Basic Fishing Supplies

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

FroggyLeSeur
NewbieCake

Basic Fishing Supplies

Post by FroggyLeSeur »

Hello all,

I will be taking a big trip to Isle Royale in mid-June. I will be doing a circumnavigation of the entire island, with a few interior lakes here and there. I'm hoping to catch some fish on the interior lakes, mainly just anything i can eat. I've fished before, but mainly just Bass, Perch, and Bluegill in a few lakes in Wisconsin. I've really only ever used a Bobber and a little bit of bait. I know live bait is banned form the island (artificial bait is OK?) so what would be the basic necessities that i need to catch a decent fish to eat on the inner lakes? I'll be mostly in Siskiwit Lake.

Thanks
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Basic Fishing Supplies

Post by Ingo »

For Northern Pike, spoons (Daredevil), Rapalas, and/or Mepps spinners. Be sure you use a wire leader. I'm not much of a fisherman either, but I can catch some pike with those. We did well in the narrows joining Lakes Siskiwit and Wood, and also trolling along the shore of Siskiwit. Northerns are probably the most common fish. Will work for Perch also, which are also in most lakes. A couple lakes (e.g. Whittlesey and Chickenbone) have Walleye.

JohnH can (and I'm sure will) give you some tips for Lake Trout on Siskiwit.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Damon S
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Damon S »

Since you're going around the entire island, take advantage of the incredible fishing opportunities in the big water! In June the lake trout should be in shallower water with cooler lake temps (Mark/John correct me if I'm wrong). There are some good shoals not to far off shore and I've always had good results trolling. With some deep diving rapalas, storm lures or hot/tots...you can land some nice size dinner salmon. You cover so much good water, depending on how much time you have, it would be a shame not to drop a line.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Good info from Ingo and Damon.
First, make sure youare familiar with the IR fishing regs.
There is a good deal of info in threads already posted here, check those out.
A good spinning rig, medium weight (8-10#) 6-7' 2 pc rod with reel. If youare buying a new reel, have both spools lined with line. Use one for inland lakes and the other for Superior waters.
A selection of spoons (Daredevils, Doctor Spoons, Johnson Silver minnows, Williams Warblers, ect in 1/2-3/4 oz size would be good. #4 or 5 Mepps with Squirrel Tail in silver and in bronze; rapalas in sz 13 (perch color, silver balck, gold black, blue silver) are good. A few topwater baits would be good too Zara Spooks ect.
A 9-12" 20# leader with a sampo type swivel. Definitely hemostats and a jaw spreader for removing hooks (again, cut off at least one of the hooks off a treble hook and pinch the remaing barbs).
I like smaller crank baits in blue and silver and orange/yellow(deep diving) for lake trout and ko wobblers and little cleos in blue silver and green silver. Hot n tots.
White rubber jigs (3" or bigger) are good for jigging reefs.

In Siskiwit, if it is windy, try casting the points downwind of the islands. Lakers will hang there in Spring. Any of the deep dropoffs (there is a hydro map in the cabin of Siskiwit) are good.
The West end of the lake is good for Northern as are the places Ingo mentioned.

That should get you started.

John
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by IncaRoads »

John,

During my research for fishing tips on Isle Royale, I stumbled across your recommendations (circa 2007) on the backpacker.com forums stating that you use Rapala's in size 9 and 11. Now you are recommending size 13.

Have you found that the larger size lures work better for you?

Do you still recommend using jointed Rapala's?

Mark
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Mark,
I have caught northern on size 9 and 11 (jointed). I use a size 13 when I am chasing large northern. I have caught more northern on a jointed rapala than a non-jointed. When I am kayaking, I take a large Plano 3700 box with a good assortment of spoons, crankbaits and spinners. I am also using a 7' medium spinning rod which allows me to throw a 13 rapala perch ( I also take a black gold, black silver, blue silver and orange yellow rapalas). I will switch between rapalas when the bite is good to experiment. I do the same with spoons and spinners. I will add here day in out, my most productive lure is a Five of Diamonds particularly in the stained waters. If the waters were clearer, I would probably throw a red/white daredevil. Both of these I have with a silver back or bronze back.

If I am backpacking, I would take far less lures. Because of size, I would take a 9 jointed in perch. I do take a Plano 3500 box when backpacking. (I live 10 minutes from the Plano outlet store).

I hope that answers your question.

John
FroggyLeSeur
NewbieCake

Post by FroggyLeSeur »

Thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated.
robin621
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Post by robin621 »

Lots of really good info!!! Great post...