Tent stakes? Or appropriate options?

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

eddy_line
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Tent stakes? Or appropriate options?

Post by eddy_line »

Planning first trip to IR, paddling & portaging from McCargoe across the island. With all of the descriptions of a "rock" island, carved by the glaciers, I'm wondering if it is possible to use tent stakes to anchor tents or tarps, especially in the paddle-in campsites? I have used small bags, filled with available small rocks when gravel-bar camping; wondering whether that method might be necessary in some places.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Tent stakes? Or appropriate options?

Post by Ingo »

You may bend a stake or two hitting a rock, but not a big problem. I've always been able to drive stakes close enough to where they need to be.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

Ditto what Ingo said. The really thin titanium stakes would be best. The big plastic stakes the worst.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
Damon S
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Damon S »

I use the MSR stakes that are shaped like a star pattern. Really stout/durable stakes and I've used them everywhere. They work nice because they'll actually push between jammed rocks in the soil, unlike the thin ones.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

Damon S wrote:I use the MSR stakes that are shaped like a star pattern. Really stout/durable stakes and I've used them everywhere. They work nice because they'll actually push between jammed rocks in the soil, unlike the thin ones.
+1. They are called Groundhog stakes and are relatively cheap, actually. It's the only thing I use for staking down my tent in all sorts of soil and conditions.