Inland Fishing

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

Mr Blister
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Inland Fishing

Post by Mr Blister »

A few questions for those in the know. If I am only fishing inland lakes do I still need a MI license or will my Minnesota License cover me? That being said the inland lakes I'll be camping on are Desor, Hatchet and Chickenbone. I have heard the first two are devoid of fish (correct me if I'm wrong) I am not sure about Chickenbone. The last day we will be at Chippewa and would like to fish there, or if I roll into camp early enough I might try hiking over to Lake Mason. Again I don't know if there's fish in Mason? So the only place I'd need a MI license is at Chippewa right? Is it even worth it? Can I buy the one day license for that day?

O.K. I know that's alot to throw at you. Thanks for your help!
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Inland Fishing

Post by johnhens »

First of all, you should read the Park Service regs for fishing. They are covered in the Greenstone. There is a link to the Greenstone on the General Info page or you can go to the Park Service Website. A lot of the info is covered in other fishing threads here.
You do not need any license for IR's inland lakes. If you elect to fish Chippewa Harbor, you will need a MI one day license which you can get at the Lodge before you go out. You may be able to get one on line at the MDNR site. It is good for 24 hours only.
Chickenbone, you will do well for fish. I have heard of walleye caught from shore. I have caught northern there from shore.
Lake Mason has Northern for sure.
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

I thought I had a copy of "Fishes of Isle Royale" but I can't find it. $3.95 from irkpa.org, although I think it may be quite old now.

I know Lake Desor has whitefish, because I caught one there about 35 years ago. Supposedly the Lake Desor Whitefish is/was a separate subspecies.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

The park service has a spreadsheet if you go here http://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvisit/brochures.htm and click "Fish List in Inland Lakes". Consistent with what's been said, but doesn't list Whitefish. Maybe Bob caught the last one :oops: . Or it's just not on the list :) .
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

Hey Ingo,

Maybe I DID get the last one:

From http://www.nps.gov/archive/isro/nr_prof ... 20list.htm

Lake Desor whitefish
Coregonus clupeaformis dustini
A variant of Coregonus clupeaformis is known only from Lake Desor on Isle Royale. T. N. Todd (pers. comm., 10/2002) states that the subspecies designations of Coregonus clupeaformis should be considered as suspect.

Park Status Unconfirmed
Abundance Rare
Residency Breeder
Nativity Native
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
Mr Blister
NewbieCake

Post by Mr Blister »

johnhens wrote:First of all, you should read the Park Service regs for fishing. They are covered in the Greenstone. There is a link to the Greenstone on the General Info page or you can go to the Park Service Website. A lot of the info is covered in other fishing threads here.
You do not need any license for IR's inland lakes. If you elect to fish Chippewa Harbor, you will need a MI one day license which you can get at the Lodge before you go out. You may be able to get one on line at the MDNR site. It is good for 24 hours only.
Chickenbone, you will do well for fish. I have heard of walleye caught from shore. I have caught northern there from shore.
Lake Mason has Northern for sure.
That's great! At least Chickenbone goves me a chance to cathc a fish :) I might hike over and try Mason too if we have time, but I don't know if it's a dead sea or not. Thanks!
Mr Blister
NewbieCake

Post by Mr Blister »

Keweenaw wrote:Hey Ingo,

Maybe I DID get the last one:

From http://www.nps.gov/archive/isro/nr_prof ... 20list.htm

Lake Desor whitefish
Coregonus clupeaformis dustini
A variant of Coregonus clupeaformis is known only from Lake Desor on Isle Royale. T. N. Todd (pers. comm., 10/2002) states that the subspecies designations of Coregonus clupeaformis should be considered as suspect.

Park Status Unconfirmed
Abundance Rare
Residency Breeder
Nativity Native

I think I'll save my casting muscles when on Hatchet and Desor.
Mr Blister
NewbieCake

Post by Mr Blister »

Ingo wrote:The park service has a spreadsheet if you go here http://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvisit/brochures.htm and click "Fish List in Inland Lakes". Consistent with what's been said, but doesn't list Whitefish. Maybe Bob caught the last one :oops: . Or it's just not on the list :) .
Thanks for the link! Looks like I won't be wasting energy trying to catch anything at our first two lakes. I'll definately fish chickenbone and I think I'm going to skip trying to fish Chippewa and hike over to Mason.