July at Windigo

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

zims
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 17

July at Windigo

Post by zims »

HI All, I am thrilled to announce my dad is coming with me to the island! excited is not quite the word, That he gets to experience what we all already know about. Since he has bad knees, we are planning on hanging around windigo pretty much the whole time and he wants to fish. I plan on a couple solo huginnin loops while he catches the big one. We will more than likely rent the john boat or a canoe for fishing, but is there really a chance he can catch something from shore? He is an experience fisherman.
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: July at Windigo

Post by jrwiesz »

There are limits to length of stay at each camp as I recall. During that July period, I don't believe one can stay at Windigo for a week, without moving to other camps every other day. Others here may know the exact times of stay permitted, but off hand, I recall the limit may only be two days at Windigo. Good luck with you plans. :)
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
head2north
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by head2north »

I have seen many fish in a cooler returning from Washington Harbor fish outings, but that was
early June so not sure about July.

In regards to campground occupation limits, I would suggest renting your boat mid-trip and
getting a change of scenery out on Beaver or Grace Island campgrounds.

J
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by IncaRoads »

Campground consecutive nights stay limit is described in the Greenstone 2011 newsletter. Maximum length of stay at Washington Creek is 3 days.

http://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvisit/l ... eID=283836
zims
Trailblazer

Post by zims »

thanks everyone
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

You did not specify when in July, and this may or may not matter to you but the Isle Royale Boaters Association is holding their fishing tournament July 15-16 at Windigo.

I doubt this will affect the campground at all, but Windigo will be a bit busier than most folks are accustomed to that weekend, including Grace and Beaver Islands (as they have docks).
zims
Trailblazer

Post by zims »

Thanks for info on boaters, but we are going right after that. I know it iwll be busy in July but that is when I can get off work. I have been on the island in may, june july august all before, trust me, nothing can be busier than boyscout and girlscout month!! eeshhh August is not a time to go. Hopefully I can squeeze in a trip to actually hike in September before I hike Mt leconte.