Siskiwit Lake Portage to Superior

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

FroggyLeSeur
NewbieCake

Siskiwit Lake Portage to Superior

Post by FroggyLeSeur »

Is there a portage between the two by Malone Bay? The map that i'm looking at shows a general trail, but it doesn't look like an offical portage. It also shows a small creek/river flowing between the two. Is it possible to flow right into Siskiwit lake from the Lady in a kayak? I'm going around the island in a counter-clockwise route so i was hoping to go into Siskiwit lake and then portage the smaller lakes leave from Chippewa harbor
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Siskiwit Lake Portage to Superior

Post by johnhens »

You can portage into Siskiwit. As you paddle the shore towards Malone, you will see a beach with red stones in front of the shelters. If you go past this beach you will see shelters up a "bluff".
Stop at the East end of the beach. Wipe your boat and paddles before leaving the beach so as not to bring anything invasive into the interior lakes. From there, walk up the path and follow it past the shelter to the North. There is an outhouse over the East past the shelters on your right as you leave the beach. Follow the path as it skirts small rock bluffs on the left through some fir trees. The creek is on your right and no, you cannot float the creek into Siskiwit, as all creeks empty into Superior, not the opposite. You will make a turn to the left and go down some rock steps and see a boardwalk/pungeon/planking (whatever you may prefer). Continue across to the other side and go up a little rise where you will see Siskiwit. It is an easy portage as far as IR.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: Siskiwit Lake Portage to Superior

Post by Midwest Ed »

On page 6 of the park's newsletter "The Greenstone" you will find a list of all portages including details and descriptions.

http://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvisit/l ... eID=283836
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013