Help with trip planning around Duncan Bay area

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

Dutchdev
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Help with trip planning around Duncan Bay area

Post by Dutchdev »

We are 3 average paddlers in canoes. Will be arriving tuesday, June 14th. at rock Harbor and camping 4 nights. Thinking about portaging into Duncan Bay to Lane Cove to Belle Isle and back. What is this route like? does this seem attainable? We plan on portaging between the bays... Are there many moose there? We hope our daughter can see one... This is our 3rd trip to the island, but we've never been to the north side. We welcome any posts/comments and thoughts. thanks!
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Help with trip planning around Duncan Bay area

Post by johnhens »

I just did the Duncan Bay to Stokely Bay portage and the Duncan to Tobin portage. The Duncan to Stokley and Stokely to Lane Cove portages are nice, short and easy. The Duncan to Tobin, not so nice. The paddle from Lane Cove to Belle can be exciting in a canoe, good to have at least a good weather radio to keep track of Marine Forecasts.
Seeing moose, Duncan Bay would be good, but moose numbers are low.
I know there are lot sof blowdowns at Lane Cove, I had heard site 5 was not usable. Check with the NPS.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Help with trip planning around Duncan Bay area

Post by Ingo »

From JohnH's trip report, those portages should be clear of deadfall, so good. :) The portage between Tobin and Duncan is the biggest obstacle, but take your time and it will be fine. Assume it will be hell on earth, but it will be worth it, and when you're done it will not seem that bad, but feel like an accomplishment. It has taken me anywhere from 1.5 hrs (solo, overnight pack only) to 3+ hrs (family of 4). I always portage in 2 trips.

Once in Duncan Bay, you can camp at Duncan Narrows or the Duncan Bay CG at the end of the bay. I think the narrows is a little more scenic, but there may be more company with boaters who don't want to go all the way to the end. However, the last time I was there we had the place to ourselves, so you never know.

From Duncan Bay to Belle Isle, 3 hrs is a reasonable estimate. My daughter and I did it in 2.5 hrs taking our time, but skipping a portage as the big lake was calm. As JohnH says, those 2 portages and short and easy. From Lane Cove to Belle Isle you can round the western point of Lane Cove and duck behind Johnson Island for protection if need be, or just to make the paddling easier. If it's too bad, Lane Cove is also nice and pretty protected to stay at. But Belle Isle is my favorite place on I.R. :) If you get there, get up early for the sunrise--it can be spectacular!

Here's a trip report and pics from my last trip to that area, although we started at McCargoe http://moskeybasin.com/IR2009/Main.html

Have a great trip!
John I
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH