Kayaker dies paddling the Apostles

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Kayaker dies paddling the Apostles

Post by johnhens »

Very sad to read of this. Sounds like the paddler was not wearing protection from the cold water.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/ ... id/201251/
Damon S
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Re: Kayaker dies paddling the Apostles

Post by Damon S »

Jeez, I've paddled that area many times and I wonder if these guys even checked the forecast. We've encountered severe weather there, both on the water and when we were landlocked and made a no go decision. Prayers go out to the family...

Damon
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: Kayaker dies paddling the Apostles

Post by Midwest Ed »

What a terrible tragedy. Accidents happen all the time but usually only turn into tragedies like this when preparation or precautions are ignored or done improperly especially when something like boating is involved. I’m not telling most of you guys anything new that safe boating requires certain gear and training but if anyone can learn from this terrible experience then maybe another life might be saved down the road. It’s my experience that most boating disasters arise when multiple things go wrong in tandem, any one of which was probably survivable if taken one at a time. The Coast Guard and other marine based public services do a great job but their response time can often be longer than land based services. Always be prepared and prepare for the worst.

~Ed
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013