Paddling Reports re "5 Fingers" NE end of IR?

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

BackCountry11
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: Paddling Reports re "5 Fingers" NE end of IR?

Post by BackCountry11 »

My Roommate and I did the 5 Finger route last September by canoe. I'd advise getting a USGS topo map of the area. It made finding the Keyhole and the Amygdaloid trail a lot easier. From the Keyhole entering into the channel turn head towards Amygdaloid Island on a slight angle to the left or go straight across and head west. There will be a cairn on the beach and a pretty well traveled trail leading you to the arch. I would highly suggest checking it out if possible. It is an awesome geologic structure. Also once on top of the Amygdaloid Ridge (if it is moderately clear) you can get quite the view of the NE end of IR as well as Canada and the Sleeping Giant Provincial Park!
moss13
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by moss13 »

Thanks for the info guys. I would really like to get on the ridge to see Amygdaloid Lake and if I can see Sleeping Giant PP, even better. I have been to SG and would love to go back and camp there in the future.
"The Island Is Calling"
moss13
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by moss13 »

I also am aware there is a ranger cabin on the west end of Amygdaloid Channel. Is there anything worth seeing or doing on that end? Does a ranger actually live in that cabin certain times of the year?That is a really remote spot.
"The Island Is Calling"
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

moss13 wrote:I also am aware there is a ranger cabin on the west end of Amygdaloid Channel. Is there anything worth seeing or doing on that end? Does a ranger actually live in that cabin certain times of the year?That is a really remote spot.
There are 2 Rangers posted there during the summer who patrol the NE side of the Island.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

The far western end contains the private residences of the north side ranger(s) and another for a maintenance person during the normal park season. The park boating guide lists the Amygdaloid Island dock as being open to the public only during daylight hours of 6 am to 10 pm (the same as for Mott Island docks), but I would still treat the area as a private residence, available only through invitation (although it's probably not difficult to wrangle an invite). I’ve walked along the length of the island heading eastward from the residences and it is typical back country bush that is fairly nondescript (mostly balsam fir if memory serves) until you get to the arch. About halfway to the arch from the east there begins a fair amount of open ridge. The extreme eastern end contains another dock servicing the old McGath compound. I don't know its current status.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013