2012 early trip itinerary thoughts?

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

Wilderness Junkie
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

2012 early trip itinerary thoughts?

Post by Wilderness Junkie »

Intended trip date: 2012 Last week in May or first week in June.

I really want to do the full paddle from RH to Chippewa, Lake Whittlesey, Wood and Siskiwit, but the weather on that last stretch to Chippewa scares me… I’ve been reading and re-reading everything again and one real good point I keep focusing on is the fact that the surface temperature of Lake Superior in June is a balmy ~38deg. I know have I’ve been in 3+ footers out on Lake Michigan and Lake Huron, but big rollers on Superior breaking on the island is a big unknown for me. I have 100s of hours of experience in all sorts of wind/weather/waves conditions in my kayak (12’ Wilderness Systems Pungo Classic w/full skirt) and I’ve never even come close to flipping it, so needless to say I couldn’t do an Eskimo roll to save my life (no pun intended).

So I’m thinking of revising my itinerary to this one.

Day 1: Arrive at 11am via Isle Queen and take the water taxi to Chippewa (anyone know when it departs the docks and how long the trip takes?). Depending on arrival time to Chippewa, paddle / portage to Whittlesey lake. Set up camp.
Day 2: Remain at Whittlesey Lake and explore it and Wood lakes 2nd night
Day 3: paddle / portage to Siskiwit and explore / fish. Paddle / portage to Intermediate lake. Possibly set up camp here or continue on to Lake Ritchie. 3rd night
Day 4: Explore Intermediate lake and / or Lake Ritchie 4th night
Day 5: break camp early and make the long portage to Moskey Basin. Camp at Moskey Basin for the 5th night.
Day 6: Casual paddle back to RH to catch the 2:45 return boat.

I guess I should also emphasis that my main purpose for this trip is to observe the island from the water and fish like a mad man. I’ve hiked it twice before and drooled the whole time wishing I had my kayak with me. I am an avid fisherman (if it swims, I like to catch it) and I’m suprised at the low number of fishing reports detailing successful techniques and locations on the inland lakes (there are few and thanks for those!). I realize fishing is not the main purpose for most of the visitors to the island, so it’s nobody’s fault. I am hopefully I can add a few more details on successes, tackle and locations - maybe even a few gps cords :wink:

Anyhow, thanks for any input on the above itinerary!
Last edited by Wilderness Junkie on Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: 2012 early trip itinerary thoughts?

Post by Ingo »

The water taxi does not run on a fixed schedule, but by reservation. Here's the contact info for the concessionaire (note the Winter number) http://rockharborlodge.com/contactus/. Not sure how early in the season they start.

You'll have plenty of time to fish with 6 days! Sounds like a great plan to me. A couple of thoughts: I'd spend the first night at Chippewa and fish the harbor. I catch dreadfully few fish myself, but have seen very large northern swimming under the canoe up the western arm. Love the campground too, if you haven't been there. Also the Wood Lake and Richie canoe campgrounds are much nicer than Intermediate, so I'd probably skip it--never stayed there, but did a quick stop once--nothing wrong with it, just not as nice. Don't remember hearing that anyone's had much luck fishing Intermediate either, but maybe you can change that :).
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
eddy_line
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by eddy_line »

Just an FYI, fishing in Chippewa Harbor requires a Michigan fishing license, but no license required for the inland lakes on your itinerary. Thanks to my trip partners last July, I can attest to the tasty northern and walleye in Whittlesey, tasty northern in Richie and Chickenbone. Wood Lake looked like good fishing, but not much luck. We paddled a lot of Siski, but didn't fish it much; blueberry hunting was good, though.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

eddy_line wrote:Wood Lake looked like good fishing, but not much luck.
But the hottest spot on our trip, LOL.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
LeftOvers
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by LeftOvers »

An alternative to an expensive water taxi trip to Chippewa Harbor is to coordinate your arrival with the schedule of the Voyager II which circumnavigates the island. It leaves Rock Harbor every Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday at 8 and arrives at CH at 9 . I think you need to make a reservation to be sure they'll stop at Chippewa Harbor. It does mean an idle overnight in the Rock Harbor area, though.
Wilderness Junkie
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Wilderness Junkie »

Good Advice Leftovers. While I don't think we want to stay overnight in 'downtown Rock Harbor', we may paddle the first day to Moskey then catch the Voyager from there to Chippewa (assuming they stop in Moskey). I will have to check into that......
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

The Voyageur II does not stop at Moskey, so you can't use it to shuttle from there to Chippewa.
jerry
IR Expert

Post by jerry »

Wilderness Junkie, The V2 does stop at Daisy Farm, so you could meet the boat there for a trip out to Chippewa Harbor. Of course, they would like a reservation.