1st timer

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

numb
NewbieCake

1st timer

Post by numb »

me and my buddy are headed to the island in july were do you rent a canoe? we want to ferry into mccargoe cove and paddle are way do some fishing and backpacking so if someone can help need to know were to get a conoe and if this is a good spot to fish ?

thanks for the help
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: 1st timer

Post by Ingo »

Assuming you'll be taking the Voyageur II out of Grand Portage to get to McCargoe. The closet place to rent a canoe is at Bear Track Outfitters in Grand Marais, about 35 miles from the boat. You'll need to pick up the canoe the night before. Once on the island I'd suggest paddling/portaging thru the inland lakes to Chippewa Harbor and get picked up there. There's fish in all the lakes, especially northern pike.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
numb
NewbieCake

Post by numb »

thanks ingo

I have a email out to bear track ,thanks , while i am online what about getting a reservation in July on the ferry is it probable that if I wait to long I may not make the island because of no open slots ? I assume they limit the permits
jerry
IR Expert

Post by jerry »

numb, If you plan to use the V2 out of Grand Portage, they rent canoes also at $30/day, or $175/week. They are at: Isleroyaleboats.com
numb
NewbieCake

Post by numb »

All,

We think we are on track getting a canoe . Now fishing ( have not done to much fishing in the past 10 yrs ) I do have a backpacker pole 4 lb test line and i do understand no live bait brought to the island , with that said what do you all recommend , how heavy of a test line do I need , as of now the places we think we will be are Mccargor cove or rock habor or sis kiwit lake or washington habor ( man I love all the choice's ) we are looking to catch and eat . Will the 3 ft backpacker pole work in these waters ? How about lures?
Once again guys thanks

Bill
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Your two best resources are the National Park Service newsletter for Isle Royale called the Greenstone and to read the past posts right here. The Greenstone contains all the regulations needed and many recommendations. The 2012 issue should be published soon.

http://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvisit/u ... i-2011.pdf

I am not a great or even regular fisherman but I have caught fish on several lakes on the Island. My suggestions are more preparatory than techniques. Here are a some simple things. If your fishing line is 10 years old it should be replaced because it's old. Your most common catch will be Northern Pike but other species are available as well. A steel leader should be used to avoid losing some to a cut line due to the Northern’s sharp teeth. Barbed hooks are not allowed, the easiest thing to do is to just bend the barbs flat with a needle nose pliers. Four pound test would be a little light for me but that’s a technique question that is affected by personal preference. I've always had good luck using Rapalas and spoons (DareDevil red and silver/white or yellow/red "five of diamonds"). I've had Northerns strike a big Rapala that was bigger than the fish, :shock: . If you’re planning to fish the inland lakes as well as Lake Superior waters it is asked that you change spools because there is a water flea present in Lake Superior that clings to your line. Fishing Lake Superior for Lake Trout is a bit tricky. They are usually deep so you will need appropriate tackle to get the lure down where they are and finding them without electronics poses it's own problems. Lastly, don’t leave any food rations are home due to expectations of fish. It might not happen.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Hey Bill,

I think I have a fair idea of what you're looking for now, but not sure how long you're thinking. Since I think I have my own trip as planned as can be for the moment, I was thinking about yours. Here's a another idea if you're looking at a week or more, since most campgrounds have a 3 night max stay (but haven't looked them up to be sure):
Take the Voyageur II from Grand Portage, MN to McCargoe Cove. (Mon, Wed, or Sat). Things to do for a few days include:
- Fishing in the cove.
- Paddling to the mouth of McCargoe and fishing Brady Cove behind Birch island. It's supposed to be great fishing for northern. You can stay at Birch Island too--it's very nice, but a small island--you will likely have the company of a fishing boat or two.
- Hike up to the mine a couple miles.
- Portage into Chickenbone and fish for northern and walleye (1+ miles).
- Hike up to Chickenbone and the Greenstone Ridge.

Then catch the Voyageur II from McCargoe around the island to Malone Bay. (Mon, Wed, or Sat). The boat stops overnight at Rock Harbor where you could shower, have someone cook for you, or just get some junk food (oh, and beer). At Malone you can portage into and fish Siskiwit and Wood Lake. Northerns (again) and lake trout. Hike the 1 trail in and out. Then head back to G.P. on a Tues, Thurs, or Sun.

Just another thought to add to the mix. I've started thinking this may good trip to take with my wife (2013?), who likes getting out, but isn't up to too serious a trip. In any case, have fun planning! Whatever works will be great.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

I'm sold Ingo. Sounds like a great trip. When can we leave? I would be curious to know what the extra charge would be for the extra pickup and drop off via the Voyageur II.

All the campgrounds on Lake Superior (accessible by boat) are 3 night consecutive stays, with the exception of Rock Harbor and 3 Mile (1 night) and Belle Isle (5 nights). Most of the others (inland) are 2 nights with a few exceptions being 3 nights (Washington Creek, Island Mile, Lane Cove and Huginnin Cove). Windigo Dock is an oddball like Belle Isle at 5 nights.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
canoeflipper
NewbieCake

Post by canoeflipper »

If you're taking the Voyager and you want to go to Chippewa Harbor, where do you stay when it stops overnight at Rock Harbor? I would assume you have to stay in the campground there but wondered if you can just sleep on the boat. I was thinking of getting dropped off at Chippewa Harbor and paddling / portaging my way to Malone Bay and getting picked up there. Has anyone here made that trip?
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

canoeflipper wrote:If you're taking the Voyager and you want to go to Chippewa Harbor, where do you stay when it stops overnight at Rock Harbor? I would assume you have to stay in the campground there but wondered if you can just sleep on the boat. I was thinking of getting dropped off at Chippewa Harbor and paddling / portaging my way to Malone Bay and getting picked up there. Has anyone here made that trip?
Yes, you stay at the campground (or you could get a room at the lodge I suppose :)).
No, you can not stay on the boat. The crew does--it's kinda their home, as it may be.
numb
NewbieCake

Post by numb »

all ,

Is this doable
ferry to Rock Harbor 1 night stay
then ferry to Chippewa Harbor paddle ( southwest ) to nearest campsite stay 1 night next day portage to Wittlesey lake stay one or 2 nights then portage to wood lake paddle into Siskiwit lake stay 2 nights then portage to Malone bay ferry back to the main land.

what do ya think guys
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

That works, and is a nice little trip! All are great campsites. And good fishing all along the way. The Chippewa Harbor dock is at the campground, so there's no paddling involved the day you get there. The portage into Whittlesey is kinda rocky/rooty, but the one into Wood Lake is easy (as I recall, there's a short climb out of Whittlesey). Siskiwit is big lake and can get very rough, so be careful and just wait out the weather if you have to. Winds are typically calmest in the morning and evenings.

Here's my trip log from 2002, going the opposite direction: http://moskeybasin.com/Isle_Royale/IR_Log_2002.html (the corresponding part starts on Mon. p.m.)