Windigo or Rock Habor

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

sasspea
NewbieCake

Windigo or Rock Habor

Post by sasspea »

Hi. I am in the early stages of planning a late June/ early July trip and am looking for some help since this will be my first time going there. I will be leaving from Copper Harbor & am trying to figure out if I should focus my 3 or 4 night trip around Windigo or Rock Harbor. I would like to go to the location that would give me the most "bang for my buck." Beautiful, interesting day hikes, wildlife viewing and some beginner level kayaking (day trips) are all what I am looking to do while there. Any suggestions where to start? Thanks!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Windigo or Rock Habor

Post by Ingo »

If you're set on going from Copper Harbor, then Windigo is not a practical option for a 3-4 night trip. But that's OK. There's plenty around Rock Harbor, especially with a kayak. Are you camping? If so, you can only stay 1 consecutive night at the R.H. campground, but there are several within easy paddling distance.

Beautiful: can't go wrong anywhere :)
Interesting day hikes:
- Scoville Pt from Rock Harbor is about 4 miles round trip. Rugged rocky shoreline with views of outer islands on one side and picturesque Tobin Harbor on the other.
- Take the tour boat from the lodge to Hidden Lake, and hike back about 10-11 miles. Great views of the north side and the Canadian shoreline (weather permitting of course) from Lookout Louise and Mt Franklin. The boat has run on Tues/Thurs in the past.
- Paddle to, or camp at, Three Mile and hike up to Mt Franklin about 4 miles round trip.
- Paddle to, or camp at, Daisy Farm and hike up to Mt Ojibway, about 5 miles round trip.
- Esp. if you camped at Caribou Island or Daisy Farm, the Edison Fishery is very interesting with a short hike to the lighthouse which you can go up. The lodge also does a tour to there.
Wildlife viewing: You just have to get out. Some trips I've seen many moose, others none.
Beginner level kayaking (day trips):
- Tobin Harbor is very nice and normally pretty calm. I would not paddle around Scoville Pt though--it's very unpredictable.
- Rock Harbor is larger and more open to weather, but most days is fine. For beginners, I'd stay close to shore however.
- The weather can change quickly, so keep an eye out and be ready to hit the shore if you have to.
- Remember that the water is very cold and dangerous if you go in, so stay within your abilities.

Get the Trails Illustrated map is you don't have it yet. Also go to the NPS website http://www.nps.gov/isro and download "The Greenstone." It has lots of info including the tour boat schedules. I'm not sure if they have the 2012 issue up yet, but most things don't change too much from year to year.

Have a great trip and fun planning!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
sasspea
NewbieCake

Post by sasspea »

Sorry...I don't have to leave from Copper Harbor. For some reason I thought that the sea plane left from there as well as the ferry. I didn't realize that the plane left from Houghton. I am flexible & can leave from either.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

You really can't go wrong either place. The Rock Harbor area has more scenic coastline and ridgeline views. Windigo has the advantage that you can camp there for 3 consecutive nights, and it's less developed and busy. Since you're considering the seaplane, I assume you're thinking of renting a kayak on the island. I don't remember if they have any kayaks at Windigo or not, but they do have canoes for rent. And Washington Harbor is amenable to exploration by paddling. Moose like to frequent the Washington Creek campground, although I didn't see any myself last year.

Hiking around Windigo:
- 9 mile loop to Huginnin Cove. This is the only real chance to experience the Superior shoreline where the trail follows the shore for a mile or so.
- Grace Overlook, a couple miles down the Feldtmann trail. Nice expansive view of the island to the NW, and less open view of the harbor and lake. You can go as far as you want, then return.
- Greenstone trail, up and back as far as you like. Haven't done this yet (will this year), but understand that it's a nice walk in the woods, so to speak, but not very dramatic.

I think most people looking to get a feel and "bang for your buck" would probably prefer Rock Harbor. But if moving campgrounds is an issue, or you're looking to get as far away from civilization as possible (it's all relative) without going backcountry, then Windigo would be my suggestion.

Hope this helps.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
jerry
IR Expert

Post by jerry »

If you want to have some peace and quiet, go to Windigo. Ingo's suggested hikes are ideal for most folks. Rock Harbor is considered to be downtown Isle Royale by many folks. Rock Harbor has many options too, as Ingo indicates. No matter what you pick, you might get hooked on this National Park.