Best backcountry lakes to fish?

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

BackCountry11
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Best backcountry lakes to fish?

Post by BackCountry11 »

I know this maybe be against the fisherman's code haha, but I'm just looking to hook into some decent fish while I'm on the island in mid May. If anyone would be willing to share some tips it would be greatly appreciated, if not I understand. I will be on foot but no lake is to far to bushwack too haha. I'm considering toting along an inflatable fishing raft or lightweight waders pending on my overall pack weight.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Best backcountry lakes to fish?

Post by johnhens »

Where are you going to be? Or is this a determining factor in your itinerary?
There is good info in other threads in this category if you do a search. I would also say most of the folks who fish are pretty good about sharing info about fishing, lures, tackle, ect.
BackCountry11
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by BackCountry11 »

I'll be heading across the island from Windigo to Rock Harbor, so any lakes really. I'll check for other threads as well. Thank you.
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

If you are planning on including the Feldtmann loop, Feldtmann lake right of the campground shore.
Halloran is supposed to be good, still haven't got in there.
Chickenbone from the West shore. Ritchie from the shore where the islands are on the North shore along the trail.
Sargent Lake is another favorite, I like the 'T' in the middle.
Lightweight stocking foot waders w/ a pair of lightweight sandles or the like would be good for wading. How much does the inflateable weigh?
kypaulfg
NewbieCake

Post by kypaulfg »

johnhens wrote:Where are you going to be? Or is this a determining factor in your itinerary?
There is good info in other threads in this category if you do a search. I would also say most of the folks who fish are pretty good about sharing info about fishing, lures, tackle, ect.
John, I have been to the island and have have great memories of past trips...Sargent Lake has always been on my bucket list.
Do you have any recommendations how and what approximate route to take to and from Sargent Lake?
Thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

I have gone from the Greenstone. Taking the Daisy Farm Trail to the Greenstone, after reaching the Greenstone, the trail to the west descends. You might be able to see Sargent lake at the bottom of the descent. I head a little north of west to instersect the lake. I tried going along Lake Wajego, too thick growth (willow I think) to follow. I head for the 'T' that juts into the lake and have had good luck from there. I have a friend who portaged a canoe from McCargoe to Sargent. Had good luck fishing Sargent as it does not get a lot of pressure. Have fun and good luck!!!