Weather radio vs. VHF Radio

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

moss13
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Weather radio vs. VHF Radio

Post by moss13 »

I have a noaa weather radio that I am planning on bringing to IR. The plan is to paddle via canoe from Belle Isle to Rock Harbor. I have read a number of times here a vhf radio would be a bit better? I do not have one but would be willing to buy one for this trip if necessary. Can someone say why the vhf would be preferred over a standard noaa weather radio? Keeping a track of wind and waves will be important to me in this area. Plus if you could recommend a specific vhf radio that would help a lot too.
"The Island Is Calling"
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Weather radio vs. VHF Radio

Post by johnhens »

The biggest advantage of a VHF over a Weather radio is the ability to hail a boat or the NPS in the event of an emergency. VHF is 'line of sight' meaning the radio will transmit better over an uninterrupted line of sight. So if you are in Duncan Bay, you would have trouble communicating with a boat say at Belle Isle.
I use a waterproof bag for my radio even though it is "waterproof" mostly for flotation.
Standard Horizon or ICOM are the way to go.
Good info at West Marine:
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... 60&Ns=Most Popular|0&catalogId=10001&omniTag=Category%3a+Handheld+VHF+Radios&viewTaskName=SiteSearchView

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... eld-Radios
Damon S
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Damon S »

Like John said...

and I've used both my ICOM'S (m72 and m88) extensively on Lake Superior placed right in the pocket of my PFD. On rough days the VHF was wet constantly, never any problems with the ICOM. Only thing I've done is put a little plumbers/silicone goop along the battery and battery connector gaskets.
moss13
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by moss13 »

Thanks for the link. I am leaning towards the ICOM M24. Hopefully that will be sufficient. I will purchase it sometime before my trip in August.
"The Island Is Calling"