Using a sailboat as basecamp

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

Richard1961
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Using a sailboat as basecamp

Post by Richard1961 »

:D Well the good news is that I am alive to return to Isle Royal. After waiting 35 years(I'm 51) to make me dream trip last year June 15 I hiked the shoreline trail to Three mile campground. Had a heart attack. Spent a 2nd night at 3 mile( sorry over stayed my limit but had a good reason) then rode back to Rock Harbor on the water taxis. So hiking the trails is now out so I bought a 26ft sailboat to use as a base camp and a few kayaks for the family. The sailboat draws under 3ft with the swing keel up so I should be able to get into most docks and coves. I am planning to make a 2 week trip arround the Island. My two main areas of intrest are the 5 finger area and Moskey basin area. Any sugestions on must see stops? Macargo cove and Chippewa harbor are also high on my wish list. As my boat has only a 14 gallon holding tank I want to stay at as many campground docks so to streach the pumpouts to a min. Any help with the trip plan would be great. Richard
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: Using a sailboat as basecamp

Post by Midwest Ed »

This sounds like a great way to go. After a youthful era of several hiking trips and canoe portaging, I did a boat trip with 2 friends and my son when I was 47. Two years later I had my heart attack.

Even though traveling by boat, you will still need to pay heed to the maximum consecutive overnight stays at campground. The chart in the Greenstone newsletter (available here http://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvisit/u ... e_2012.pdf ) shows campground details including dock depth levels although current lake levels are still slightly below datum and are forecasted to stay low through most of the summer.

Your next good resource is the boating brochure (available here http://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvisit/u ... 2012-2.pdf ). Note that some docks (generally not at campgrounds do not allow overnighting). Some other docks are closed at certain times on certain days in order to allow for the Voyageur II ferry and the Concession’s water taxi. Generator use is also well regulated generally to best protect the areas that are more back country related (not boater only campgrounds) You can also anchor out but permits are still required and regulations still apply.

Also take care to avoid importing any Zebra mussels.

Now, where would I go to “base camp”? There are many island campgrounds, especially on the eastern end (north and south shore). Belle Isle would be my number one choice. It is the only place outside of Rock Harbor and Windigo that supports a 5 night limit. The campground is beautiful and it allows easy daily access to the entire eastern end of the north shore. Most other Lake Superior dockable campgrounds have a 3 night limit. Certainly if you are circumnavigating you’ll want to visit Moskey Basin, Chippewa Harbor, McCargoe Cove, Malone Bay and Siskwit Bay (I love Todd Harbor as well but the dock depth is very shallow). Also, I’ve always wanted to visit Hay Bay. It’s the only mainland campground (not on an island) that is inaccessible by foot trail. There are several places you can dock to just investigate for the day (e.g. Passage Island and Edisen Fishery). If you are going during "peak season" (July and August) some docks will be crowded at times.

Of course your best daily resource will be to sure to bring along all marine charts and chart plotter so you help avoid becoming another Isle Royale shipwreck.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Congrats on the new boat, what did you get?
Are you coming over from MI or MN?
Not sure how much sailing experience you have, but the lake is lower than normal so the dock depths listed in the Greenstone will not be accurite. If your boat draws 3' with the swing keel up, and it is windy, and you are in 2' chop, you will bottom out in 4' of water.

You could spend a week exploring the Five Fingers, nice to have the kayaks. Are you using the NOAA chart for navigation or do you have a chartplotter or the like? There are lots of unmarked rocks ect. Moskey is nice as is Chippewa. Tobin Harbor is nice also. Duncan Bay, good shelter. I 2nd Passage Island.
Richard1961
LNT Expert

Post by Richard1961 »

My boat is a Paceship PY26. I use paper charts but am looking into getting a plot/charter. I am thinking of putting in at Ashland Wi. area and sailing north to the island from there or sailing up to Houghton and crossing from there. If I chose to go this route I will be able to check in at the ranger station there and buy my permits befor leaving for the Islands. I am looking at planning the trip for the begining of September this year and if everything goes OK another trip next May. I am ordering a solar panel so I don't need to run the gen. too often. I know from experance that the last thing people that go to all the trouble to go camping in an area like Isle Royal want is to listen to someones motor running.
Even though I will be using a boat for transportation from campground to campground I will be bringing my tent and staying ashore where there is room. After planning the trip all those years I still want( no I realy Need) the experence of camping out in the wild. As far as the zebra muss. are concerned I will have the boat bottom Steam cleaned befor taking it up to Ashland and will head for the island as quickly as possible so to give them the least amount of time to attach to my bottom. The last thing I would want to do is to cause damage to this wonderful place. Richard
drobarge
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 24

Post by drobarge »

I would srtongly reccomend a copy of Bonnie Dahl's book Superior Way, it's invaluable when cruising the lake.
Feel free to PM me with any specific boating questions you may have about the island. I have sailed the lake for many years even living aboard for a summer.
Eagle hbr to Chippewa is the shortest crossing from Michigan about 40 nm it usually takes me 8hrs. I would reccomend a boat riders pass this will cover your boat and everyone aboard this also makes check in alot easier.

Here is a link to some of my pics to wet your whistle for Lk Superior sailing:

http://s823.photobucket.com/albums/zz160/drobarge/
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Ahhh, my dream is to sail Isle Royale some day, but not sure it will ever happen. Been thinking about your desire to "camp out in the wild". I'm not sure about leaving unattended boats overnight at a dock or anchored out (both from the NPS policy and weather points of view), but if that works I can think of a couple suggestions. From Malone Bay you can portage into Siskiwit and paddle up to Wood Lake, but that would really be leaving the boat alone. I think Lane Cove may be a pretty good anchorage and beautiful campsites. And Pickeral Cove is probably the most remote/rustic lake campground, with what looks like good anchorage too. drobarge can give you anchorage details, I presume.

If not tenting with the boat on the hook, my paddling favorites in rough order are Belle Isle (like Ed), Chippewa Harbor, McCargoe, Moskey, and Duncan Narrows. But heck, you can't go wrong!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Midwest Ed
IR Expert

Post by Midwest Ed »

Very nice boat. Does it have the diesel engine? Since you are still looking for a chart plotter, maybe consider one that supports input from a forward looking sonar unit. We had a separate FLS but it came in real handy to spot those uncharted rocks.

I found this ISRO boating trip report from 2010. They weren't sailing but it was quite interesting and documented some useful information.

http://continuouswave.com/sail-logs/irnp2010/

I'm jealous of your plans. :mrgreen:

Here are some photos at Belle Island that I took in June 2000:

8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Richard1961
LNT Expert

Post by Richard1961 »

Thanks for the replies. The links are awsome and the pictures have me chomping on the bit to stop planning and leave already. To answer a few more questions, my boat has the 15hp omc saildrive. This is basicly a outboard motor stuck through a hole in the bottom of the boat. And after researching oversize load permits I now am planning to trailer to Houghton (212 miles from Green bay) then sail from there. Also I will be staying with my boat but will sleep ashore at a campsite where there is room. The link with the powerboat trip was very helpfull. I will use all those stops just adding a lot more. I am looking forward to not only seeing the campgrounds but also exploring the shore along the way. I am hoping this will be the first of many trips I take to the Island with my boat. On a side note I named my boat "Ruth Ann" after my mother and my wifes mother, both who passed away last year. Richard
Midwest Ed
IR Expert

Post by Midwest Ed »

I reread that boating trip report and noticed that our own TAMPICO, who frequents this forum, was mentioned as part of their "Armada".

~Ed
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Richard1961 wrote:The links are awsome and the pictures have me chomping on the bit to stop planning and leave already.
Just to add fuel to the fire :D, here's some more pics from a McCargoe to R.H. paddling trip that includes Belle Isle and the Five Fingers area.
http://moskeybasin.com/Isle_Royale/IR_Pics_2009.html
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

Richard, is your boat cold molded?
Richard1961
LNT Expert

Post by Richard1961 »

I'm not sure what you are asking.I think it was hand laid not vacume molded. It was made with 1970's tec. and Paceship were built to be strong and slow. When going over 6 mph I think I'm flying. Her hull is a lot thicker then the newer ones. She is overall for me a great little pocket cruiser. Big enough to move arround in with 6'2" headroom down below. Not a lot of wasted space but with enough to mount a second fuel tank to get me arround the Island. The tanks are sized for weekend cruising,( only 14 gal. holding tank) with only slightly bigger fresh water so I will be bringing extra water and my camping hand pump filter. I need to figure out fuel needed because I dont think there is room to sail in most of those narroe bays(tokin, rock,mccargo etc.) but the good news is at 26ft I can go a little farther offshore then some of the other Kayak guys and find room to sail. A better place to find the info on my boat is the Paceship website. They have all the specs and history there. The Paceships were built for years in Canada so she should hold up to the tough cold water as long as it isn't frozen. Also thanks for all those great pictures. I have only about a dozen of my trip and half of them are me getting hauled back to Rock Harbor in the water taxis. Thats the last time I let my son be the trip camera man. But I cann't say too much sh*t about him because he is the one who hiked to the lodge to send the water taxis to get me. Overall he is a great kid that is turning into a man when the chips are down. Richard
Richard1961
LNT Expert

Post by Richard1961 »

Well my plans have changed again. Due to zebra mussels Ashland is out. As long as I am Trailering in 2 states I might as well trailer to Grand Portage and launch from there. I am planning a 1-3 week sail to the Island end of August /early September this fall with a return next spring for a 4-6 week circle cruise. This fall It depends on my passengers time limits how long I stay. I might have my son along for the first week then send him home and return for another week or two alone. I am now shopping for a solar panel so I can keep the batteries charged without running the motor all the time. I am still accepting suggestions on where to stop around the Island. I am planning the trip this fall as a get to know the area trip with my trip next spring checking out more areas ashore. Next spring The train engine, the powder house, the school house, several mines and the Edison Fishery are high on my list. As far as areas I want to explore Hay Bay, Moskey Basin, The 5 finger area, Lane Cove, Mccargo Cove, Grace Island, Todd harbor, and Washington Harbor area. also the outer Islands. I will throw in stops at Daisy Farm and Rock harbor. I will also visit the site at 3 mile campground where I had my heart attack but don't wish to stay there and have it happen again. Well now that summer is coming I have several shakedown cruises planned for Green Bay and northern Lake Michigan. If any of you hikers are planning a fall trip I would consider passengers. No charge, just bring your food and supplies. Just shoot me an e-mail and lets work something out. I could meet anyone at Grand Portage or meet you at any dock around the Island. Richard
Richard1961
LNT Expert

Post by Richard1961 »

OK after much study here is the plan for my sept trip.
sept1 launch, step mast and rig, Grand Portage
2 Windigo check-in/Grace Island
3 Birch Island
4 McCargo Cove/hike to Minong Mine
5 Belle Island
6 Duncan Bay
7 Duncan Bay Narrows
8 Passage Island/Blakes Point
9 Rock Harbor(fuel)/ Tookers Island
10 3 Mile
11 Mott Harbor/Daisy Farm
12 Moskey Basin
13 Caribou Island
14 Chippewa Harbor
15 Malone Bay
16 Hay Bay
17 Siskiwit Bay/ Hike to Island Mine
18 Hike back to Siskiwit Bay
19 Windigo
20 Grace Island
21 Beaver Island
22 Windigo/Grace Island
23 Grand Portage MN

This tour hits most of the docks arround the island. This is all based on good weather. If bad weather slows me down I could skip stops. If it is too bad I would give up the northern side and go out and back on south shore. The only 2 hard dates on the plan are Rock Harbor Sept 9(last day fuel open) and Windigo Sept 19. If this trip goes well I will return next spring to explore all these areas in more detail. By using my sailboat as the basecamp I will be able to carry months worth of food and supplies instead of days. :?: If anyone can think of anything I missed give me a shout. :D Richard
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

Richard, I am excited for you.
One thought, you may not be able to get gas at Windigo (not sure when the gas operation shuts down for the season). I know sailboats sip gas, but just a thought.

You cannot overnight at the Passage Island dock. Be very careful going into Malone Bay, it would be easy to bottom out there. Also the entrance to McCargoe, can be tricky.

Have a great trip!!