Duncan Bay Dock

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

bergman
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: Duncan Bay Dock

Post by bergman »

If and when the shelters at Duncan Bay are removed, i hope they leave the standing fire grill at the existing campsite, assuming it has some life left in it at that point in time.

My guess is that the 2 tentsites on the peninsula will share a single fire ring.

See you on the trails ...
Nym90
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by Nym90 »

The easternmost dock at Three Mile was closed when I was there in 2010 (looked like it had buckled due to ice over the course of the winter as the concrete was cracked and uplifted), but was repaired and reopened in 2011. That would seem to disprove the idea that the docks are going to be removed there, though perhaps this document is referring only to the westernmost dock being removed. It does seem a bit superfluous for Three Mile to have two docks, though I suppose it can sometimes get enough boat traffic to warrant it. I would imagine that boaters would prefer Tookers Island or Caribou Island, though, as opposed to a campground that they must share with hikers.
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

Nym90 wrote:I would imagine that boaters would prefer Tookers Island or Caribou Island, though, as opposed to a campground that they must share with hikers.
I suppose some might, but I enjoy the company of others, even smelly hikers.
drobarge
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 24

Post by drobarge »

One of the great things about boating at the island is sharing a little tr. magic with hikers. I love seeing hikers at the docks. (appoligies to Jerryb and his hiking partner.... I only had two beers and there was three of us!)
bergman
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by bergman »

Hikers then are sort of like leprechauns. Turning 2 BEERS into 3 green ones. Happy St. Pat's.

He fed a multitude of bare-footed hikers with just 2 FISH (coasters) and 5 loaves (Wasa cracker bread). .

It would take more than just a wee bit of faith, to backpack barefoot on Isle Royale.

Yours truly,
Rodney Dangerfield