Packraft

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

k2one
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Packraft

Post by k2one »

Anybody out there ever used a Packraft on the Island?
Wilderness Junkie
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Re: Packraft

Post by Wilderness Junkie »

Not yet, but I have a Flytepacker packraft that I purchased over the winter and I plan to take it on my trip this spring to IR.

I've inflated it in my basement to confirm it will hold air and it seems pretty durable. My only concern will be keeping those nasty pike teeth away from it.....
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

There is a gentleman named Rudi Hargesheimer who works at Midwest Mountaineering in Mpls (and is also on the board of the MN Parks and Trails Council) that I'm pretty sure has packrafted IR. I seem to recall he stuck to the inland water route (McCargoe to Chippewa.) He also did Pukaskwa NP (Canada) a couple years ago, and has given talks on it.
He and Grant Merritt will be giving a talk at this spring's Outdoor Adventure Expo on "Isle Royale, Then and Now." I attended a similar talk from them this past fall, and I think this is a reprisal. It was well attended, and Grant shared stories of the old families on the Isle.
treeplanter
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Post by treeplanter »

Not a packraft, but I've been taking my folding kayak to I.R. for the past twenty years. If you want to paddle or explore some inland lake, this type of watercraft is the ticket.
k2one
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by k2one »

Thanks to those that replied,hope to hear from others. Wilderness Junkie I did send you an e-mail even after reading your reply about the make of your packraft.ooops!Still let me know your experience with it.Have a great trip!
slosteppin
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by slosteppin »

I haven't yet but Ken Knight did a few years ago. Here is a link to his blog:
http://www.wanderingknight.org/travels/ ... iary1.html