Superior paddling in an open boat?

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

eliotski
NewbieCake

Superior paddling in an open boat?

Post by eliotski »

We are planning a 20th wedding anniversary trip to IR in July/Aug 2013. Hubby has backpacked from one end of the island to the other and back however we are hoping to do a paddling trip. We were planning to circumnavigate the island in seakayaks however we are now rethinking that idea due to outfitting costs. We are experienced canoe paddlers (20 years and 200+miles in the BWCA with and without kids) with a healthy understanding/respect for Lake Superior after 4 years of college on the south shore in Ashland, WI. We have found outstanding info on inland paddling and east end routes, but has anyone out there done routes that include Superior paddling? We are not planning to circumnavigate in a canoe by any means but we are wondering if its possible to get from Siskiwit Bay around to Windigo in an 18ft open boat? Obviously things would be wave and weather dependent and it would be a long day/paddle but we are up for the challenge. We know we can take a water shuttle around, but why ride when you can paddle? :)
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Re: Superior paddling in an open boat?

Post by Tightlines01 »

I'm sure it's been done before, sounds like your pretty used to canoeing. The weather would be the biggest "if" factor. I'd plan some extra days on the back end which will allow some weather days in case you need to wait out bad weather.

Bring a weather radio and be prepared to change your Itineary based on weather. You could always pull off at rainbow cove, portage the canoe up a bit to where its safe from the beach and camp 1/2 way at Feltdman. If good weather and you make it early there are other islands you could explore around windigo.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Welcome to the Forums!
Folks have done circumnavigations via canoe. I would say use your best judgement. A VHF or at least a Weather Radio are good to have. Unlike the stretch between Little Todd and Windigo, there are more places to pull out on the South Side. How long are you planning to do the paddle?
You will need at least one night backcountry permit unless you are going to try to paddle this section in one day. LLooooonnngggg day!!
darksideofoz
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by darksideofoz »

I can't seem to find it now but I remember someone posting their paddling route from their GPS & even listed the coordinates that they back country camped at on the way along that stretch.
1 Isle Royale trip: July 2nd-6th 2010
RH>Caribou
Caribou>Daisy Farm Trail>Conglomerate Bay back country camping
Conglomerate Bay>Tookers
Tookers>Merritt Lane
Merritt Lane>Rasberry Island>RH
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

Welcome to the Forums!
We have paddled from Rainbow Cove to Windigo no problem. I have also planned a paddle from Hay Bay to Windigo, but we decided on another route. It is a relatively safe paddle with many places to land safely. However, I would NOT do it without a VHF radio. There is nothing between the two places and, if something goes wrong, you will be on your own. Plus, you really need to have the marine forecast to do any paddling in Lake Superior as it can change quickly. Also, the south side is USUALLY much better than the north side of the island, but there WILL BE days when you cannot paddle. What are your plans in terms of days? Are you planning on doing this in one day? If so, it will be a LONG day! Also, you may start out fine and turn one of the points and find conditions where you cannot go on. It has happened to me several times.

I have a couple of backcountry sites I have used along that route and will send them to you if you email me.

Sounds like a great way to celebrate your anniversary. Enjoy your trip!
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"