Canoe rental alternative?

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

dehansen
NewbieCake

Canoe rental alternative?

Post by dehansen »

Oops, I waited too long to book a canoe rental at Rock Harbor for our IR trip -- they only have ones for two days, not the full time of our trip (July 25th to 30th). We're sailing from Copper Harbor so we'll be going to Rock Harbor, not Windigo.

Is there any alternative in terms of renting canoes? I tried the outfitter in Copper Harbor but they don't rent canoes to take to IR. Anyone know of another outfitter not too far from Copper Harbor which might be willing to rent 2 canoes to take to IR?

If not we'll just make the trip a combination of hiking and canoeing, but we'd hoped to get to some of the inland lakes at the heart of the island, and 2 days won't be enough for that. I understand there is a boat which could take us from Rock Harbor to Windigo, were we might have a better chance of renting canoes for the full time, but that would probably eat up half a day of our time in the process...
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Re: Canoe rental alternative?

Post by Rafiki »

Is there any alternative in terms of renting canoes? I tried the outfitter in Copper Harbor but they don't rent canoes to take to IR.
Rent it and give them the impression that you're not taking it to Isle Royale :twisted:
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

Grand Portage Isle Royale Transportation also rents canoes. They are 17' aluminum. You would have to work out the details with them on getting it to Rock Harbor and the pickup at Rock Harbor. You would also have to pay for getting in to and from the island ($36 each way) and the rental fee is $30/day $175/week. This includes paddles and 2 PFD's.

Call them at: (218) 475-0024 OR (218) 475-0074 to work out the details. I am sure they can help you out.
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Depending on how you define "not too far", this is 122 miles south of C.H. in Watersmeet. I've rented here once before: http://www.sylvaniaoutfitters.com/rates.html. If you're coming up from the south or west it may work for you.

Mike's suggestion is good too, especially since you'll have to pay to bring it over either way. As he said, I'm sure they'll work out the logistics if they have availability. I don't think that Windigo is a particularly good option--there aren't any canoe routes on that end, just harbor paddling--not that that's bad, just not a typical canoe trip.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

I've never used these guys that I found but they would work if you're coming from down state Michigan. The explicitly list IRNP as an approved destination. They also rent vehicle carriers.

http://www.paddlingmichigan.com/rentals/
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

dehansen wrote:I tried the outfitter in Copper Harbor but they don't rent canoes to take to IR.
Seems like a very strange business model since they are less than 50 steps away from the Queen dock. I guess they figure it would take away from their guided trips to IRNP.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
dehansen
NewbieCake

Post by dehansen »

Many thanks for all the suggestions. I've contacted Grand Portage Isle Royale Transportation - hopefully they can help out. Otherwise we'll rent from further afield and bring them, but we'd probably need some sort of transport trailer as well (we just have a minivan) so it might get complicated.
NancyT
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by NancyT »

I WISH we had a mini van. We transport our canoe on my little Sunfire without a carrier.
Attachments
IMG_2849 Scaled.JPG
~ISLE ROYALE INFO~
"A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park"
http://www.isleroyale.info
Rafiki
IR Expert

Post by Rafiki »

That is an awesome setup Nancy. You just encouraged me that much further in the direction of getting our own canoe should we enjoy our first trip and not want to shell out money for rental fees in the future. My only concern is how has that setup been with regards to not scratching your car. It appears to be pretty sturdy and well cushioned. However, looks can be deceiving and I would hate to scratch up the roof of my car. On another note, how much did those pads and straps cost you? Can you get them at REI or a typcial retailer?
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
NancyT
Trailblazer

Post by NancyT »

The pads are wonderful. The canoe doesn't even get close enough to scratch the car.
Joe at Red Rock threw the pads in with the canoe as he was out of stock and these were used but can be purchased, along with the top ties, that bolt directly to your car here https://redrockstore.com/Catalog/index.php?crn=97
There are other places you can get them, but we got everything through Red Rock when we bought the canoe.
The tie downs I just bought at WalMart.
~ISLE ROYALE INFO~
Rafiki
IR Expert

Post by Rafiki »

When you say bolt down, do you mean that there are holes drilled into the exterior of the car to allow the system to stay in place or do you just hasp the system into place using a hook like system?
NancyT
Trailblazer

Post by NancyT »

From the website..."Top Ties attach under the hood, on the fender bolts. Remove the fender bolt, then put the metal grommet on the bolt , then reinstall the bolt one top tie on each side. Pull out the straps and then close the hood. Than just flip them out when needed! No crawling under your vehicle.

The original Top Tie is a loop of webbing with a grommet inserted into it. The idea is to mount it to the bolts under your car hood that hold your front fenders on. When you need to carry your boat, you open the hood and reclose it with the loops hanging out instant tie-down points! They're always there when you need them, and out of the way when you don't."
Attachments
Top ties.jpg
Top ties.jpg (34.87 KiB) Viewed 6003 times
~ISLE ROYALE INFO~