Caribou Island to McCargoe/Birch Island

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Caribou Island to McCargoe/Birch Island

Post by Rafiki »

Quickie. Would we hate our lives if we tried to paddle to either McCargoe Cove or Birch Island from Caribou Island in one day? (Normal Weather Conditions) And yes, I realize there will be a very long portage from Moskey to Lake Richie :shock:
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Re: Caribou Island to McCargoe/Birch Island

Post by MikeT »

Quickie answer... Yes!
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
NancyT
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by NancyT »

In one day? Are you nuts? Not thinking it would be wise to do that in one day. Shelly would hate you half way through!!
~ISLE ROYALE INFO~
"A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park"
http://www.isleroyale.info
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

You will hate your lives when you get to Richie :( . Then it's another decent day to McCargo :shock: .
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Gimp
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by Gimp »

I'd love to see the expression on the Rock Harbor Rangers face when you propose that leg of your trip. :shock: If you're determined to try it, perhaps you could take a 6-pack of beer and offer it to any backpackers at Moskey who will carry your canoe over to Lake Richie for you. That will save you some time and energy.
Rafiki
IR Expert

Post by Rafiki »

I love you guys and your candidness. You tell it exactly the way I need it to be told to me. If any of you left a glimmer of hope that this was possible to do, well then by golly it must be possible Rafiki to do. Instead I got,

A simple straight to the point response:
Quickie answer... Yes!
A response that reminds me of the importance of my relationship:
Shelly would hate you half way through!!
A confirmation at the root of exactly what I was trying to figure out:
You will hate your lives when you get to Richie :( . Then it's another decent day to McCargo :shock: .
A "If you don't want to take it from us, Let the Ranger let you know how smart your plan is when you get to the island" response:
I'd love to see the expression on the Rock Harbor Rangers face when you propose that leg of your trip. :shock:
Ok, so just to press the envelop one last time:

Does it make any difference that we'll be carrying 25Lb backpacks, the canoe is only 50Lbs, and I am in relatively great shape and would have the ability to take total control over the canoe should Shelly be need a break? I am guessing that I need to move past this idea and the answer again is unless you have a death wish, don't do it. However, details are important, so I figured I'd throw a couple more out there.

On the note and impression that I will receive the same type of responses regardless of the new information that I have brought to the table, I was wondering if anyone could make a couple of different suggestions on what would be a good two day plan to tackle Caribou Island to McCargoe/Birch Island? Judging by the responses I got, this would be feasible, but slightly challenging...yet doable.
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

On the note and impression that I will receive the same type of responses regardless of the new information that I have brought to the table, I was wondering if anyone could make a couple of different suggestions on what would be a good two day plan to tackle Caribou Island to McCargoe/Birch Island? Judging by the responses I got, this would be feasible, but slightly challenging...yet doable.
Very feasible! These may not be completely full days for you, but they are for most folks, and Shelly.
Day 1, Caribou to Richie--set up camp, fish, watch otters, etc. And if you're too itchy, portage into Intermediate and back :). Or paddle over to the Chippewa portage and hike over there. Or both :shock: . Let your companion rest!
Day 2, Richie to Birch Island. It was a longish day for some not-so-in-shape 40 somethings to do McCargoe to Richie, so should not be a problem for you. Not much to do on Birch, except chill out or fish. Brady Cove is supposed to be good for northerns.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
head2north
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by head2north »

Yo, I would not call it nuts, in fact that would be a regular old fashioned day in the boundary waters. I would suggest
canoeing on south shore of Superior and tackle Lake Richie from Chippewa Harbor though.

Start early and enjoy the paddle between portages and take your time on portages, especially the return trip
if you double portage. If you do the numbers, you are actually only lugging gear for 7 some miles if you take
the Moskey Basin to Lake Richie route, and less if from Chippewa Harbor.

I do find it necessary to state that I am a very seasoned Boundary Water canoeist and regularly have at least
one 10 plus portage day on my trips. So in other words, to a avid BWCA'er, it is not nuts; to a strictly Isle Royaler
canoeist, it would be on the tougher spectrum of possible single day route. But then again, what is the reason to
do this in one day? Isle Royale is much different than BWCA.

Anyways, enjoy the trip. JJ
shellytheKeeper
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by shellytheKeeper »

HAHA. Thanks for backing me up, guys!! :roll:
Ernest T Bass
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Ernest T Bass »

Just remember Rafiki....if mama ain't happy....ain't NOBODY happy.... :lol:

Cheers,

ETB
You ain't seen the last of Ernest T Bass!!!
head2north
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by head2north »

And it is still possible. Now only some 10+ miles carrying gear AND Shelly. :D

(Now that's the way to travel Shelly, a people-carrying-sherpa!)
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

Ernest T Bass wrote:Just remember Rafiki....if mama ain't happy....ain't NOBODY happy.... :lol:

Cheers,

ETB

Quoted for truth....
NancyT
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by NancyT »

Also Tim, with your track record, it would be wise to keep things simple.
I just reread your solo Minong trip report. I always read it when I need a good laugh.
~ISLE ROYALE INFO~
"A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park"
http://www.isleroyale.info
Rafiki
IR Expert

Post by Rafiki »

What can I say, I'm a high achiever. Maybe not the wisest individual, but thats what I have you guys for, to weigh down my iron man aspirations. And let it be known, shelly appreciates all of your input on matters.

Sidebar...my 23 mile day during my solo trip was definitely not part of the plan...I know....surprisingly I did not premediate brutalizing my body like that as would be the case in any other given situation :P
shellytheKeeper
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by shellytheKeeper »

Well I do recall a nice little 17-18 mile hike from Chippewa to Rock Harbor. At least we had water though, right? Anyways.. you guys are GREAT! I do REALLY appreciate all the input you have!