Trout Stamp

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

eliotski
NewbieCake

Trout Stamp

Post by eliotski »

Does anyone know if you MUST HAVE a trout stamp if you are going to fish on Lake Superior? I would not purposely be fishing for trout. I have a MI fishing license but got conflicting reports from the outfitters I was visiting while in the U.P. last week. If I must have one, can I buy one at Rock Harbor Marina? We are leaving from the MN side so getting a MI stamp is not really an option.
THanks
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Trout Stamp

Post by johnhens »

Call the DNR.
Damon S
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Damon S »

You will be fine with a MI license. I always buy an all species license and have fished Lake Superior every trip to IR
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

eliotski wrote:Does anyone know if you MUST HAVE a trout stamp if you are going to fish on Lake Superior? I would not purposely be fishing for trout. I have a MI fishing license but got conflicting reports from the outfitters I was visiting while in the U.P. last week. If I must have one, can I buy one at Rock Harbor Marina? We are leaving from the MN side so getting a MI stamp is not really an option.
THanks
Technically you don't need one. You could catch Northern in various shore waters, maybe even some walleye. But for only $8 you can add an annual trout stamp (which also covers salmon), since you already have a Michigan license. You can get it on line and print it yourself. You may need to also spend $1 for an Sportsman ID unless you still have yours. It doubtful you'll see any trout or salmon from the shore or docks but not unheard of. Now, if you were out in deep water, trolling without a trout stamp you might be in for a serious conversation with a ranger.

An "All Species" license mentioned earlier includes the "Trout Stamp".

http://www.mdnr-elicense.com/Welcome/Default.aspx
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013