Middle Island to Chippewa

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

drobarge
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 24

Middle Island to Chippewa

Post by drobarge »

Anyone have a ballpark on the time to paddle from Rock to Chippewa?
Is there a prevailing current close to shore?
Assuming a calm lake and no head or tailwind,
the Kayak is a Tsunami 14. Loaded with about 45lbs plus my 150lbs.

Thanks
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Middle Island to Chippewa

Post by Ingo »

Took 2 hrs from Daisy Farm to R.H. in calm weather, paddling the outer islands and a quick stop to check out Tookers (canoeing with my daughter). At that pace, it would be about the same from Middle Island to Chippewa. Obviously you know that wind and lake conditions can make a big difference though. If all goes right, I can tell you better this summer, as am planning to paddle that stretch myself :). For planning purposes I use 2.25mph which would put it at about 6hrs total--but that's conservative and allows for less than ideal conditions or some lazy paddling. And the kayak should be faster, too.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
drobarge
Bushwacker

Post by drobarge »

Thanks Ingo
treeplanter
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Post by treeplanter »

It took us about three hours to paddle from Daisy Farm to Chippewa Harbor several years back. Southwest winds hitting us in the face the entire way. We saw choppy seas but not terribly big waves. I was in a Klepper double while my buddy was in a hardshell. Because of the chop, we learned that the easiest paddling was several hundred feet from the shore. Any closer and we were fighting splash-back from the shore. You could probably do it faster in smoother seas.
Last edited by treeplanter on Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Damon S
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Damon S »

Took me around 3 hours from Rock, in a 18' sea kayak though. So I'd probably figure about 4 for you, assuming your paddling direct and without much weather to work around. Certainly, a decent headwind will mess with you.

Although there are some interesting currents around the island, I don't believe you will encounter anything around that route. The most current I've ever dealt with around IR was near the paddle around north side from Hugginin to the southwest side from rainbow cove to long point.
drobarge
Bushwacker

Post by drobarge »

Thanks kids! A ballpark figure is exactly what I was looking for.