Portaging from Tobin to 3 Mile

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Anyone portaged from the end of Tobin Harbor to 3 mile campground? Is there a reasonable takeout point in Tobin? It's been too long since I've been that way.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Re: Portaging from Tobin to 3 Mile

Post by Tightlines01 »

I've hiked the Tobin harbor trail several times. No portage pre built trail.

My first thought was ugh to that portage, but after thinking it through the worst part would be the shortish bushwhack to get onto the trail and then the long board walk planking.

It would be pretty flat really. My initial thought would be it would be much easier to get out at the gloat plane dock on Tobin harbor and go over to Rock and put in and paddle to 3 mile.

Andy
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

I have not portaged it. I have seen a NPS boat tied up/beached at the end of Tobin harbor with 'easy' access to the Tobin harbor trail. Think it could be done, and at least it is not the Tobin-Duncan trail!!
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Assuming the plan holds, we'll be paddling from Merrit Lane to Caribou Island. Plan A is to paddle the whole way, plan B to cross over at R.H., and this is plan C. But started thinking that paddling the length of Tobin Harbor might be nice in any case, especially if we're not in the mood for the R.H. scene.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Have you considered crossing over at Suzy's Cave? The portage length would be much shorter, although I doubt the trail head is marked for a portage.
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR

Post by Tightlines01 »

Susie's cave would be a miserable portage IMO
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Tightlines01 wrote:Susie's cave would be a miserable portage IMO
What are the aspects of the portage that would make it miserable?
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR

Post by Tightlines01 »

I don't remember there bieng an easy way to the water, the path had a nasty incline from Tobin Harbor side if I recall. While it's been a while since I've been on the Rock Harbor side, the half going down to Rock Harbor seemed very rocky and bouldery. Again not easy acces to the water.

I would think the easiest way by far is to get out at the sea plane dock, walk past Rock Harbor and get in nice and easy and be off but I get the idea of wanting to avoid Rock Harbor.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Tightlines01 wrote:I don't remember there bieng an easy way to the water, the path had a nasty incline from Tobin Harbor side if I recall. While it's been a while since I've been on the Rock Harbor side, the half going down to Rock Harbor seemed very rocky and bouldery.
That's what I remember.
Nym90
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by Nym90 »

The "official" Tobin Harbor-to-Rock Harbor portage is the Suzy's Cave trail, as can be seen on the map in the park newspaper, the Greenstone.

Most literature on the subject seems to only make mention of the portage at the vicinity of Rock Harbor campground/lodge, which is certainly easier.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Nym90 wrote:The "official" Tobin Harbor-to-Rock Harbor portage is the Suzy's Cave trail, as can be seen on the map in the park newspaper, the Greenstone.

Most literature on the subject seems to only make mention of the portage at the vicinity of Rock Harbor campground/lodge, which is certainly easier.
I think the "16" on the map in reference to that portage is misplaced, but I hadn't noticed that before.
TyroneousMonk
NewbieCake

Post by TyroneousMonk »

Any suggestions for a first timer on the Isle? I being pulled in the direction of Duncan bay, Tobin Harbor, Duncan Narrows any tips would be kindly appreciated! Also is anyone familiar with the weight of the Rental Canoes from R, Harbor?
Cheers, Ty
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

Ty,

My 17" aluminum canoe, is similar/same as the rental canoes in RH; it weighs 75 lbs.

I would think the rentals should be close to that, on average.
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne