Water Taxi recomendations

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

bschottke
NewbieCake

Water Taxi recomendations

Post by bschottke »

Hi Everyone,
I'm new here, and new to Isle Royale. I am planning a trip for my wife and I, and have a few questions. We are arriving on july 5th, and leaving the island July 10th. I would like to kayak Chippewa Harbor, Whittlesey, Wood, Siskiwit, Intermediate and Richie. I have the Dufresne book, and it seems like this is doable in our time frame. I am unsure about the water taxi service. If we arrive in Rock Harbor on July 5th, should we reserve the water taxi on the same day, or wait until the 6th? Same questions for the return. The ferry leaves at 2:45. should we plan on being back in Rock Harbor the day before?
And finally, how about drop off and pick up points. Any advice? Our options seem to be Chippewa Harbor and Moskey Basin. Drop off at one and pick up at the other?
Thanks in advance for any advise, we are open to anything.

Thanks,
Brad
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Water Taxi recomendations

Post by Ingo »

Hi Brad,

Definitely book the water taxi for the day you arrive. There's no good reason not to, except to hang out in Rock Harbor. But if you want to do that, I would do it at the end and head back the day before you leave. It's always possible the weather could alter schedules/plans, although not too likely, and that approach gives you some insurance also. Also, there's a great hike to Scoville Point from R.H. and you could paddle the outer islands or Tobin Harbor.

Unless you really enjoy a 2+ mile portage, I would go to/from Chippewa Harbor instead of Moskey Basin. Moskey is very nice, but not worth the extra effort just for it (in my opinion). All the campgrounds where you're going are also very nice. I think you could also get picked up or dropped off at Malone Bay, but I do like the circle route from/to Chippewa.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
bschottke
NewbieCake

Post by bschottke »

Excellent. Thanks for the advice. Would it be an option to take the water taxi back on the same day we leave the island? And if plans change, can I reach the lodge on a handheld VHF?
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Sure, you could schedule the water taxi for the morning you leave, assuming they're not booked. If you're not aware, you make reservations beforehand--that's important as they only go when and where they have a reservation. As for VHF, I don't think they're anywhere close to in-range of a handheld from there. You would have to try to contact the Park Service or a boater who could rely a message to them, but two-way communication would only happen if they happened to have a boat in the area themselves.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

Welcome to the forums!
For a quick synopsis of planning a trip and to view various boat routes, I would suggest looking at a page I have created on my site. if you go to the Isle Royale Info page linked below and select "Planning A Trip" it will give you an overview.

As far as the water taxi, as Ingo said, you have to make your reservations in advance. It is also quite expensive. If you are arriving on the 5th (Saturday) you could take the Voyageur to Chippewa the following morning and save a lot of money. As far as coming back, I'd think about portaging over to Moskey from Richie and getting the water taxi from Daisy or, paddling all the way to Rock Harbor. It would be cheaper. Also, it is possible to contact the lodge via radio from Daisy if something happens.

Just a couple of thoughts.
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"