Kayak trip to NE of IR.

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

RockRiver
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Kayak trip to NE of IR.

Post by RockRiver »

Well, it looks as if this trip will happen. We leave for Copper Harbor tomorrow. We will take the Queen to Rock Harbor for what turns out to be her first crossing of the year. The weather forecast looks favorable this year, so I think that we will be able to make it to McCargoe, Belle Isle, Five Fingers, etc. We will just have to peek out at Blake Point cautiously Monday and see. We have sea kayaks and are well equipt so that if it is not too windy or high of wave we should be able to do this. Last year at this time it was the weather was too nasty to make this trip and if the weather goes bad we do have an alternate itinerary.

While I have been worrying about the ice situation at IR all spring, I actually hope that there is some to paddle by. We were out on Lake Superior last Sunday for the first time this year and we went from Shelter Bay to Laughing Whitefish Point (East of Marquette). It was great. I wanted to post a picture, but it said the file was too big and I don't know how to compress it.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Kayak trip to NE of IR.

Post by Ingo »

Have a great trip and be safe! Water temps must be at least 33 by now :wink: .
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
drobarge
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 24

Post by drobarge »

See ya Friday on your way out, I'll be just arriving!
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Lucky Chicken »

hope you are having a great trip and I look forward to the trip report!

To post pictures just upload them to photobucket or another similar photo hosting site and link them to here.
RockRiver
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by RockRiver »

We are back now, got home around midnight Monday or I guess it was actually Tuesday. We had an outstanding trip, only one half a weather day. No real problems at Blake Point . We spent four days on the north side going as far as McCargoe and four days on the Rock Harbor side going as far as Moskey Basin and Mine Point. The gps that I use strictly for paddling said that we went a total of 101.39 miles over the water. I kept a paddling log so I will post a more detailed trip report when I have time to do so.

There was no ice on the water a little old snow in very isolated patches on the RH side. On the north side there was a little more, especially along the shore line at the Palisades. None of the hikers that we spoke to seemed to have any problems. The RH toilets are open. The store is open and the potable water is on. Next week the restaurant opens

Spent the day unloading the truck and putting boats and gear away. I'm ready for bed.