Invasive Species/washing canoes?

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

bobcat
Bushwacker

Invasive Species/washing canoes?

Post by bobcat »

I thought I saw somewhere that, due to spread of invasive species, you can't take boats (including canoes and kayaks) from Lake Superior into inland waters on IsRo without either letting them dry for 5 days or cleaning them somehow. Does anyone know where I can confirm this regulation and practical ways to comply, when on Isle Royale? For instance, portaging from Moskey Basin into Lake Ritchie then into Chippewa Harbor then into Lake....I forget, the first one on the way to Siskiwit....would require two separate cleanings of the canoe.

How do you meet this requirement, if indeed it is a requirement?
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Invasive Species/washing canoes?

Post by johnhens »

This is the recommended preocedure for canoes and kayaks BEFORE coming to IR. In here they suggest using a disinfectant (without mentioning what would work).
From the Greenstone 2014:
Remove weeds, algae, and other plant and
animal materials from your boat. Wash your boat
and equipment with either: a) hot water (greater
than 104 degrees F), b) high pressure water, c)
disinfectant OR clean and dry your boat and
equipment in the sun for five days. Rainy days
don’t count.

On the Island when going from Superior to inland lakes, wipe the boat and paddle (or paddles) down. I thought in the past the NPS had wipes you could use.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Invasive Species/washing canoes?

Post by Ingo »

The Lightload towels are great for wiping down the canoe/kayak/paddles. Almost weightless. Bring one just for that and a ziplock for when you're done. If you're not familiar with them, they feel kinda like a reusable paper towel--not going to last forever, but can be washed and used a few times. http://www.ultralighttowels.com/
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH