Fishing Potential Questions

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

senior packrafter
NewbieCake

Fishing Potential Questions

Post by senior packrafter »

I am planning my itinerary for a proposed 12 day mid-May packrafting/hiking/fishing trip. Good specific fishing info seems hard to come by for some of the lakes I plan to try. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone can enlighten me as to the fishing potential (for the month of May with a normal Spring) of any of the following locations:
1) Tobin Harbor from Rock Harbor to the west end
2) Moskey Basin (I have heard that lake trout fishing here should be good in May, but where are the best spots to try in the Basin?)
3) Lake Mason
4) Lake Theresa and bushwhack to if worthwhile
5) Species available in Chippewa Harbor
6) Blueberry Cove and bushwhack to from Chippewa Harbor
7) Lake Superior shoreline from Blueberry Cove to Greenstone Beach (bushwhack or paddle along shore if wind is light?)
8) Lake Dustin
9) Siskiwit lake fishing potential east end between Wood Lake and Intermediate Lake portage
10) Angleworm lake
11) Lake Benson
12) Sargent Lake (I have heard that only small pike swim here?)
Thanking you in anticipation
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Fishing Potential Questions

Post by Ingo »

With my usual qualification of I'm not much of a fisherman, here's where I've caught something in those areas:
5) Northern, one after the other, in the creek feeding Chippewa Harbor from Lake Richie. Using Rapala minnow. A couple were keepers (24").
9) Narrows between Siskiwit/Wood, again very active with smallish Northern. One nice Northern along the southern Siskiwit shoreline near Wood Lake.
For what it's worth, in 2014 we paddled from Belle Isle to Malone Bay, fishing the Superior shoreline along the way as wind allowed. Only caught 1 lake trout (Johnson Island) and lost a nice one at Merrit Lane, but both were on a blue and silver spoon.

Hopefully someone with more experience can be more help!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
3MTA3
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by 3MTA3 »

The greatest fish dinner I ever had was a walleye out of Lake Whittlesey.
head2north
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by head2north »

Likewise on Lake Whittlesey Walleye.
Siskiwit Lake Trout will be in the shallows in May and are easier to catch.

There was a spreadsheet that provided a fish survey for all I.R. Lakes at one time. I could not find when I searched NPS website now though.
I have a copy on my old crashed computer, but have not transferred the hard drive data yet to my new computer. When I get around to it someday, I will post.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

head2north wrote:There was a spreadsheet that provided a fish survey for all I.R. Lakes at one time. I could not find when I searched NPS website now though.
Is this the one you are referring to?
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
senior packrafter
NewbieCake

Thanks for your responses. Seems to be a lot of interest in fishing but somewhat of a lack of information for some of the locations I inquired about. Well, that gives me even more incentive to try those lakes off the beaten path and report back my results. I've had the fish survey spreadsheet for quite a while; it's surprising that they didn't include Wood Lake.
head2north
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by head2north »

Yes, that's the one.
senior packrafter wrote:Well, that gives me even more incentive to try those lakes off the beaten path and report back my results.
Please, if you do fish Dustin Lake (IRNPS suggests that there are walleye present), let us in on the verdict. I have been on the shoreline of
that little lake many times, but have not thrown a lure. I have a hard time believing walleye continue to inhabit that tiny lake, but its possible.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

I am by no means a Lake Trout expert, but they'll likely be shallow that time of year. In Superior or Siskiwit, I would concentrate on areas where they can transition from deep water to shallow water on the same peice of structure. That might be humps, saddles or along the shoreline as it falls off to deeper water. The only way I've ever fished for them elsewhere was trolling a spoon or crankbait behind a canoe and covering lots of water.
Isle Royale Rob
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Isle Royale Rob »

chip n1.jpg[/attachmchent] [attachment=1]chip1.jpg
Here are a few google earth shots of Chippewa Harbor.
The YELLOW LINE is a trolling pattern right in front of the campground that has produced northern pike, lake trout, and I have caught a coho here one time and another time I caught a whitefish!!!! right at the narrows has produced most action for pike, and around the island has been the best for lakers! spoons for lakers and rapala for the pike!

The west end of Chippewa Harbor is great for northerns, Trolling or casting. Most action for me has come on large original floating rapalas in perch and black and silver. I have caught a 40+ incher trolling the north shoreline heading west on a rapala!

The BLACK ARROW is a great casting bay that gradually gets deeper the more you get to the main point at the narrows. this bay should have weeds just starting to reach the surface. Spoons and rapals have produced quantity and quality! Have seen some moose action here as well!

The RED ARROW is a small bay that will have some reeds and underwater vegetation. I have seen the biggest pike I have ever laid eyes on in this area. I've caught some pigs here as well! The deep area is close so I think the big fish like this spot because of the easy escape route! I wouldn't miss this area!

The BLUE and PURPLE ARROWS have produce too! Don't skip them!
Basically I spend a whole day in the western part of the harbor on usually cover it in a counterclockwise troll, stopping at the tasty looking spots I have highlighted!

Check out some of my previous posts from years ago and you can see some of the giants in these waters.

Best of luck to you!

Rob
Attachments
chip n1.jpg
chip1.jpg
Last edited by Isle Royale Rob on Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hiked 2000, hiked 2001, boater in 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011, solo hiked 2016, boater 2018, boater 2021, Boater 2022
10years=90days!!!
Isle Royale Rob
Trailblazer

Moskey has produced some lake trout and northern. We casted to any weeds or structure or dark spots we could find. back of the bay and shoreline areas were better than out in the open bay.
hiked 2000, hiked 2001, boater in 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011, solo hiked 2016, boater 2018, boater 2021, Boater 2022
10years=90days!!!
Isle Royale Rob
Trailblazer

2008-06-29 Big 43inch Northern Pike1.jpg
This was the nice 43inch I mentioned in the previous post, caught trolling the northern shoreline of the western part of Chippewa Harbor. black and silver rapala 7"
10years=90days!!!
senior packrafter
NewbieCake

Many thanks to you Rob for the excellent information. I did see your previous posts, but this info and maps are even more helpful.