Fishing at McCargo Cove

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

Mark_NK8Q

Fishing at McCargo Cove

Post by Mark_NK8Q »

I am planning a 7 day hike from Windigo to Rock Harbor and may take along a small collapsible rod and reel to do a bit of fishing at the campsites in the evenings, especially for days that I am running ahead of schedule with the hikes and have some extra time rather than just eating yet another freeze-dried meal doused with boiling water (some of which are surprisingly good, but I think none can compare with fresh fish!). So, probably trying my hand at fishing at Lake Desor and Hatchet Lake. Maybe I should get a MI non-resident fishing license just to cover my bases (since I may be at Rainbow Cove and Siskiwit Bay the first two nights and later at Todd Harbor), but I was wondering if fishing at McCargo Cove is considered to be within the NPS waters or the Lake Superior shoreline waters. I guess a similar question exists for fishing at Daisy Farm which may or may not be part of Moskey Basin.

Recommendations from more skilled fisherman that me (it has been a long time since I've fished, but used to love going ice fishing when I grew up in Michigan and perch fishing in and near the Saginaw Bay) on what lures/spinners or otherwise to bring? Hook & sinker and find some local worms or other bait?

While initially I was thinking it would be nice to reduce pack weight along the 45 - 65 mile hike as I eat more food along the way, it may be fun to see how much of the food I can end up taking back home with me as I was able to live off the land for a week! That could be quite satisfying!

Umm, another quick question. My camp stove so far is a JetBoil Zip. Other than boiled fish (hmm, I can think of lots of better ways, but it would still be better than the reconstituted freeze-dried backpacker meals!), any suggestions on cooking it with the JetBoil? Maybe I will need to carry a light weight frying pan that I would have to hold over the flame. Probably I'll bring some lemon-pepper along with me for seasoning (I shy away from salt).

I don't anticipate having lots of extra time, though, as one of the hobbies I really enjoy is ham (amateur, short-wave) radio and I will be packing a small radio transmitter-receiver with me to operate from three or four of the summits along the way and at the campgrounds in the evening, tapping out Morse code to make contacts with other hams all over the world. I may take something called a microphone along as well, but I'm not sure how to use that :P !!!
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: Fishing at McCargo Cove

Post by hooky »

I believe any Lake Superior waters require a MI license, regardless of Moskey or McCargo designation. There are also special regulations regarding fishing Superior waters and then fishing inland lakes because of spiny water fleas. https://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvisit/fishing.htm

Desor is void of fish. Somewhere on here, there is a thread with a link to a spreadsheet listing fish species by lake, but darned if I can find it.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

hooky wrote:Somewhere on here, there is a thread with a link to a spreadsheet listing fish species by lake, but darned if I can find it.
https://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvisit/ ... 0lakes.xls and it should ask if you want to download/open it (it's and Excel spreadsheet).
Or go here https://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvisit/ ... chures.htm then click "Fish List in Inland Lakes".
Richie and Chickenbone seem to be the most productive for shore fishing.
Maybe I should get a MI non-resident fishing license just to cover my bases
It's pricey, something like $70 in 2014 if I recall. You can get daily licenses, but they're only good on specific days so if you change you itinerary along the way you could be out of luck. Unless it's changed, you can only get daily licenses on the island (Windigo and R.H.) so I would suggest getting it online before you leave. And yes, if the water is part of Lake Superior (McCargoe, Moskey, etc.) you do need a license.
Recommendations from more skilled fisherman that me ... on what lures/spinners or otherwise to bring? Hook & sinker and find some local worms or other bait?
I'm anything but a skilled fisherman, but you can not use any live bait. Spoons, spinners, and Rapala seem to be the preferred (and successful) lures.

I'll bring a frying pan, but only when paddling and not carrying it across the island. Aluminum foil works at sites that have grills or communal fire rings--wrap it up and cook in coals. I'd settle for boiling where you can't have a fire.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Mark_NK8Q

Post by Mark_NK8Q »

Current license fees (non-resident) are $68 for an annual license (good for the whole year, quite a bit more than the $30 for a resident annual license!). They also have a 24 hour or 72 hour license option (resident or non-resident) at $10 and $30 respectively. Hmm, for good eats, and to fish again, especially since I'll be on at campgrounds along Superior shorelines more than inland lakes on ISRO, I'll have to think about the $30 or $68 options.
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

I have posted this previously; when I am paddling I bring fishing gear, when hiking I bring an extra meal, instead of fishing gear.

$30 to $68 dollars will buy you a nice lake trout dinner at the restaurant in Rock Harbor!
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by IncaRoads »

I've had great luck fishing inland waters for northern pike. I've had zero success fishing from the shore of Gitche Gumee.

Regarding cooking fish, I like making a Thai-Style fish soup. Link ---> viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1449&p=9158&hilit=Thai#p9158
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

You'll need a Michigan license to fish Lake Superior. The inland lakes do not require a license. You can buy the day license on the Michigan DNR's web site.

I've also had great luck fishing McCargoe right from the dock or the shore. One time I even brought waders to wade out a bit and do some casting. Caught a few keeper Northerns there.

A friend of mine caught "the biggest Northern he's ever lured in" off the dock of McCargoe. He let it go, but he said it provided him with a good 30 minutes of entertainment and some great trophy pictures.