Tom's Trip

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Tom's Trip

Post by Ingo »

Tom wrote:Name: Tom
Itinerary: Drop off at Belle Isle with a canoe; pick up at Daisy Farm. The rest is up to the whimsy of the lake.
Notes/Other: After last year's July "we're never coming to Isle Royale in July again" backpack trip in the heat, we justified once again not making our traditional May or June trip by convincing ourselves it's much easier to stay cool when you're in a canoe on Lake Superior. :) We'll see where the boaters may be and where we decide to lay our heads, but my brother-in-law and I are thinking a couple days on the North side, and then a couple on the South. We're in an open canoe and so will plan to portage instead of paddle around Blake.
Except for the Duncan/Tobin portage perhaps, you should be nice and comfortable :). Current water temps are about 40 in the middle of the lake, but in the 50's near the shores. And of course there's always the dip in the lake :shock: . Have a great trip!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: Tom's Trip

Post by Tom »

Thanks! I recall on our inland lakes tour a couple years ago, my brother-in-law and I didn't mind the portages and thought we could get kinda used to this canoe thing... It's a different kind of tired at the end of the day, but there is something about letting a canoe glide every now and then that makes you excited you're still making progress, while having a little rest. That never seems to happen with a pack on my back.
I routinely swim in Lake Superior (family cabin near the Apostles) so do enjoy a daily dip, especially starting in July and August. It's quite tolerable. (For a native Minnesotan, at least.)
Any particular areas of concern that we should watch the weather pattern, lest we get laid up a day or two? (Thinking how I wouldn't want to paddle Siskiwit from Intermediate portage to Wood or Malone if the wind was howling.)
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Tom wrote:... there is something about letting a canoe glide every now and then that makes you excited you're still making progress, while having a little rest.
:D
I routinely swim in Lake Superior (family cabin near the Apostles) so do enjoy a daily dip, especially starting in July and August. It's quite tolerable. (For a native Minnesotan, at least.)
In 2014 the water temps inshore were only 38 in July. And my brother jumped in every day (6)! I went in once, just to reaffirm my native Minnesotan credentials, having lived in NC for 30+ years.
Any particular areas of concern that we should watch the weather pattern, lest we get laid up a day or two?
Assuming you have a weather radio (or VHF) and can get a forecast, pay attention to the direction--NE is the "worst" direction in that it's blowing off the lake and into the bays. And obviously Rock Harbor is pretty large. The only time I've experienced anything really iffy in the bays was paddling across Tobin Harbor in a 30mph SW wind--we had to head up into it, then surf to the dock, taking on some water along the way. The VII didn't make the trip out that day and ended up doing a round-trip the next day.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
head2north
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by head2north »

Paddle Blake Point if conditions allow. Paddle Blake Point if conditions allow. Paddle Blake Point if conditions allow.
Merritt Lane campground is worth consideration.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Hey Tom, waiting for that trip report :)!
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

Ingo wrote:Hey Tom, waiting for that trip report :)!
I know, I know... I'm such a delinquent. I promise I'll get to it soon!

(For those wondering, a teaser: We didn't paddle around Blake.)