Seeking Insights on a South Island Campsite

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

MikeStout
NewbieCake

Seeking Insights on a South Island Campsite

Post by MikeStout »

After completing a solo paddle across Lake Michigan last year, this summer I am planning a solo paddle across Lake Superior.

My trip will begin in Grand Portage with a planned stop over on Isle Royale, before completing the journey to the Keweenaw Peninsula. I am thinking of a site on the south side of the island, somewhere near a designation titled The Head.

Can anyone give me some insights as to the approachability and accessibility of this area?

Thank you.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Seeking Insights on a South Island Campsite

Post by Ingo »

Mike, In general that part of the island is comparatively friendly. Although I haven't approached it paddling, Rainbow Cove, west of The Head, is a nice wide gravel beach and about as ideal as you'll find for an open shore. Surf could be an issue, of course, but you won't be crashing on large rocks. I'm not sure about the shoreline east of Rainbow Pt.

If you're not aware, you will need to stop at Windigo at the far end of Washington Harbor to register and obtain a special permit to camp outside of a designated campground. I think it would be worth calling the park headquarters in Houghton to see if you can avoid that detour.

What are you paddling?
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Seeking Insights on a South Island Campsite

Post by Ingo »

This gives you an idea of Rainbow Cove. It's where the stream comes in, so isn't the best shot--the beach gets wider and a little gentler looking the other direction.
IMG_0193 copy.jpg
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH