Malone Bay to Rock Harbor 2 Days?

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

rlmx
NewbieCake

Malone Bay to Rock Harbor 2 Days?

Post by rlmx »

Greetings - We are planning a first ever trip on Isle Royale. Is it reasonable to believe that a group of 4 to 6 mid-level kayakers could paddle from Malone Bay to Rock Harbor in 2 days? From what I can see that trip is about 22 miles. I realize that there are a number of variables involved. We typically paddle the BWCA each year. We have all been out on knife lake in 30 - 40 MPH wind. I realize that the conditions that I described are not much compared to what we could face on the big lake. I am just describing the worst conditions that the group has paddled in. Also, we usually paddle approx. 70 miles in 5 days in the BWCA.
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Re: Malone Bay to Rock Harbor 2 Days?

Post by philranger »

I'm sure you could do it . . . depending on the weather. The real question is why? Isle Royale is so beautiful, you would be missing much of it by paddling that distance in 2 days. Why not stop at Chippewa Harbor, Moskey Basin or Daisy Farm on your trip? Enjoy your time on the island. It's not about how far you go, it's about what you saw and experienced.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Hey rlmx, welcome to the board. It's a great resource. Dependent on good weather of course, that's doable. I figure 10 miles per day paddling a canoe ain't too bad, and maybe twice that in kayak--although I've only day paddled a kayak a couple times. Beyond the wind/wave issue is fog, which is very unpredictable, and can be thick. Remember it isn't like a lake on the BWCA where you know you'll eventually hit a shore you can follow! And it's remarkably easy to lose someone in the fog (been there done that, and it's very scary).

I'm assuming this is part of a longer trip? There's a lot to miss if you push the daily distance, so I'm with Phil on the "why" do it in 2 days if you don't have to.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
rlmx
NewbieCake

Post by rlmx »

This is a part of a longer trip. But I cannot in good faith lead our group from Malone to Rock Harbor. I spoke with Greg out at the Isle today. I would attempt to make the trip with somebody experienced. But the guys that I would be paddling with are weekend warriors. To be honest I only rate myself as being in the 5 to 6 range on a scale of 10 as far as experience in big water. I have been on Lake Michigan in the breakers and loved it. Also, I try to get in the kayak each time the wind kicks up on our little 12 mile lake here in Indiana. But that was 2 years ago, I have spent the last year overseas and away from my boat. I am trying to plan a good trip on the island for a group of 4 to 6 40+ year old guys. 4 are ex-military and in good physical shape for their age. I am seeing a dream fade I think. The two mile portage from Moskie to Richie has the guys in an up-roar. I am still persuing information about the trip from Chippewa to the Rock Harbour Light House. When I talked with Greg he indicated that there are a handfull of "safe haven" landings between Chippewa and the Light House. So I am thinking Rock Harbor > Moskie > Lake Richie > Intermediate > Siskiwit > Wood Lake > Whittlesey > Chippewa > Caribou > Rock Harbor in 6 days. On the other hand I am open to suggestions for a group of first-timers.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

I'd say I'm a moderately experienced canoeist, been doing it infrequently all my life, and in decent conditions I'd do the Chippewa Harbor to Rock Harbor stretch in a canoe. A few years ago I planned to do it on a trip with my teenage daughter, but it was just a little too rough for comfort so we headed for Moskey and the Lake Richie portage instead. That loop is a nice trip, however I'd plan it in the opposite direction, heading for Chippewa first if the weather's good. Your packs will also be lighter for the Richie/Moskey portage at the end of the trip. But if the lake conditions are bad the first day, you have the option of Moskey/Richie direction.

If you take the Ranger III, it can drop you off at the Park HQ on Mott Island, saving you about 6 (?) miles of paddling at the beginning of the trip. However, the IR Queen IV gets you there earlier in the day and leaves later, plus goes most days so is more flexible. Don't know if taking the the Voyageur II out of MN is an option for you, but that gives you the most trip possibilities because you don't have to start/end in Rock Harbor.

I'd certainly do that loop in 6 days/5 nights, but I'd rather have an extra day and do the following campgrounds: (1) Caribou Island, (2) Chippewa Harbor, (3) Wood Lake, (4) Lake Richie, (5) Moskey Basin, and the last night at Rock Harbor. All are great campgrounds and relatively short traveling days with time for fishing/exploring. Not sure which I'd skip if I didn't have the time, since I love them all.

The other trip I'd consider is the other side of the island to the Five Fingers area. The inland lake trip has a BWCA feel; the Five Fingers area is more unique to IR. You have a tough portage from Tobin Harbor to Duncan Bay, .8 miles up and over the ridge. The portage switchbacks on the north side and is very steep. But once you get over that all the other portages are very easy. Personally, I'd rather do the Tobin/Duncan portage over Moskey/Richie anyday! You could go as far as McCargoe Cove, but I think that would be pushing it a little. IF you took the Voyageur, a one way McCargoe to Rock Harbor trip would be my choice. There are some areas where weather could be an issue, but most of the area is relatively protected and not too open to the big lake. Belle Isle is my favorite place in the park--Lane Cove and Pickeral Cove are also favorites, although I haven't stayed there myself. The Duncan Bay campgrounds are nice, if not quite as special.

Hope this helps. I'm HOPING that I can do a trip this summer, and am considering the same possibilities, but who might go, for how long, and from where are all up in the air, so I dunno.

John
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

A couple of questions and observations.
What time of year are you planning?
Portaging a kayak is a little more difficult than a canoe. I made a portage yoke for my kayak when we did the Chipewa-Whittlesley-Wood-Siskiwit trip a few years ago. Your trip includes 2 long portages that will take more time than you think.
What kind of kayaks will the group be using?
The Malone to RH paddle can be long if the wind is out of the SE (on your nose so to speak).
Do the other memebers of your group paddle big water and know rescue techniques?
If you paddle early in the year, protection from the cold water is a must as submersion in the water with temps in the high 30's can be life threatening quickly.
Nick
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by Nick »

You might be able to do Malone to RH in two days or it might take you 6 weeks. I've got out with that plan and sat the entire time in Malone waiting for a change in the weather that never came. My advice. Take the Voyageur II. Then, just before you leave, check the long range forecast. If the winds are NW, get off at RH and paddle to Malone, pick up the VII and head home. If the winds are SW, get off Bell Isle and spend the time exploring the Five Fingers area.
Damon S
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Damon S »

From Malone to Rock Harbor in two days...yes. Definitely doable. With the mileage you've paddled in the past, a 22 mile paddle can be completed very easy in just a day. Of course, conditions on the "Lady" will dictate your paddling days, but pushin off early in the morning, you can get by before the afternoon winds kick up.

Regards,

Damon