Kevlar Canoes

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

moss13
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Kevlar Canoes

Post by moss13 »

There was a segment on How it's made on the science channel last week on how a kevlar canoe is made. I must say it is one of the best investments I have made as far as camping gear goes. Here is the video if you want to see it. Click http://www.wenonah.com/video/index.php
"The Island Is Calling"
moss13
Trailblazer

Re: Kevlar Canoes

Post by moss13 »

I also wanted to add that it makes the Duncan-Tobin portage a little more appealing, at least on paper anyway. I will let you know after I actually portage it this summer.
"The Island Is Calling"
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

On one trip I portaged 2 canoes from Duncan to Portage. We rented kevlar for the trip and it may have been the best money ever spent!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
boks
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by boks »

Very cool video!
My wife and I made the Duncan-Tobin portage last summer with our Wenonah Kevlar canoe. It definitely made the trip easier but at 18 1/2 feet, those switch backs are a 3 or 4 point turn.

My suggestion is to take first load to the top (intersection), drop canoe and go back and get the packs. Bring the packs all the way across then return to get the canoe for the trip down. It breaks up the trip nicely. This format was suggested to me on this forum last spring.

Boks
moss13
Trailblazer

Post by moss13 »

Boks,
Thanks for the suggestion on that portage. I have a Wenonah Escape which is 17 and a half feet. I will try that method when I get there, thinking of August sometime.

I was just looking at the pictures thread and was enjoying your picture of the sun rise on Belle Isle while having my morning coffee! Man that is nice. I plan to start my canoe trip from Belle Isle. It will be my first time at Belle and hope to see that sun rise when I get there. I can see myself paddling out to that island for a little sightseeing.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

boks wrote:My wife and I made the Duncan-Tobin portage last summer with our Wenonah Kevlar canoe. It definitely made the trip easier but at 18 1/2 feet, those switch backs are a 3 or 4 point turn.
Yeh, you can bump rocks with a 16 footer. The good thing is you're just about to the top when you hit the switchbacks!
boks wrote:My suggestion is to take first load to the top (intersection), drop canoe and go back and get the packs. Bring the packs all the way across then return to get the canoe for the trip down. It breaks up the trip nicely. This format was suggested to me on this forum last spring.
That's always been my method. Even though the top of the ridge isn't 1/2 way in distance, it's close to 1/2 the effort! Nice place to lie down and relax a few minutes, have a snack, or even lunch (if it's not raining).
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
boks
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by boks »

Ingo wrote:
boks wrote:My wife and I made the Duncan-Tobin portage last summer with our Wenonah Kevlar canoe. It definitely made the trip easier but at 18 1/2 feet, those switch backs are a 3 or 4 point turn.
Yeh, you can bump rocks with a 16 footer. The good thing is you're just about to the top when you hit the switchbacks!
boks wrote:My suggestion is to take first load to the top (intersection), drop canoe and go back and get the packs. Bring the packs all the way across then return to get the canoe for the trip down. It breaks up the trip nicely. This format was suggested to me on this forum last spring.
That's always been my method. Even though the top of the ridge isn't 1/2 way in distance, it's close to 1/2 the effort! Nice place to lie down and relax a few minutes, have a snack, or even lunch (if it's not raining).
Yeah, it's about half the effort at the top. There's a little climb towards the end that seems unnecessary but yeah, it's mostly downhill. Regarding those switchbacks with a 18 1/2 foot canoe, it was good that I'm 6ft5in tall. Overall, if you have a light canoe, it's not the hardest portage. Moskey to Richie was the hardest for my wife and I but it didn't help that it was day 2 with a lot of food and fuel.

Boks
lindsarooni
NewbieCake

Post by lindsarooni »

On one trip I portaged 2 canoes from Duncan to Portage. We rented kevlar for the trip and it may have been the best money ever spent!
Hello!

I am planning a canoe trip to Isle Royale this summer, exact route TBD but will most likely include a few portages including Moskey-Richie. The problem is that I don't have a canoe and will need to rent one. Can anyone provide advice on a good place to do so? Ingo, where did you rent your Kevlar canoe? I will be coming from Michigan (Houghton or Copper Harbor TBD), so any rental venue in anyone of these areas would be great. So far, I am only aware of the aluminum canoe rentals at Rock Harbor, but (please correct me if I'm wrong) I think such an aluminum canoe would be challenging, to say the least, to porter.

Does anyone have any good advice on good rental places?

Thanks for your help!
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

Hi,

The aluminum rental canoes will work, but they are too heavy and too expensive.

http://www.keweenawadventure.com/ rents kayaks - give them a call; they would know of anyone in Copper Harbor that rents canoes.

http://www.sylvaniaoutfitters.com/rates/rates.html rents kevlar canoes - $$$ and might be a bit out of your way to pick up/drop off - they are just outside Watersmeet.

Downwind Sports in Houghton might know of someone who rents 906-482-2500

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

lindsarooni,

The last (only) time I went from the U.P. I rented from Sylvania Outfitters in Watersmeet. I loved the Souris River canoes they have. Fortunately it is right on the way from my Dad's cabin up to Houghton, but if you're coming from the Soo it will be out of the way. I wasn't able to find any suitable rental canoes in Houghton or Copper Harbor areas. That was in 2005, so maybe someone rents them now and I would double check with the folks Bob suggested. For trips from Grand Portage, I've rented a couple of times from Bear Track Outfitters in Grand Marais. I can recommend both outfitters.

John I.