Float Tube for Inland Lakes?

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

StiffNeckRob
NewbieCake

Float Tube for Inland Lakes?

Post by StiffNeckRob »

I'm in the process of planning a foot trip from Windigo to RH in late August/early September.

I think I'm going to plan on 8 days and 7 nights to allow some quality fishing time. I'm reading a lot that there really isn't any shore access by foot. For those of you that have fished, would a float tube, waders and fins be worthy? I've gone to Maintou for 6 and nights and can get my pack to about 50 lbs including all fishing gear.

Secondarily, if I were to just hike, its like 4-5 days to make the Windigo to RH trip right? I'm planning on using the sea plane to get in and most likely out as well.
kevatron
NewbieCake

Re: Float Tube for Inland Lakes?

Post by kevatron »

I too am doing a similar trip in a couple of weeks. flying in to windigo Sat 5/23 then leaving RH the following friday.We plan on fishing alot so any fishing feedback you get regarding the float tube will be interesting.
Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Kevinl »

Last year, in my kayak, I chatted with two guys in Chickenbone Lake in float tubes. They said they had great luck fishing and seemed to be having fun. They hit several lakes. I rode back with them on the Voyageur and they had no complaints.

I haven't done your route so have no input there.

Have fun.
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

4-5 days would be about right if you're taking the seaplane.

Day 1 - arrive Windigo early and hike to Desor South.
Day 2 - to Hatchet
Day 3 - to West Chickenbone
Day 4 - to Daisy Farm
Day 5 - to Rock Harbor and out that afternoon

You could do 4 days by bypassing Hatchet, but that would make a pretty long day.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather