Kayak Pre-planning trip

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

Forcey
NewbieCake

Kayak Pre-planning trip

Post by Forcey »

My buddy and I are tentatively planning a kayak trip to IR. It would be from 7/25/09 to about 8/1/2009. Initially he had thought about circumnavigating the island but I luckily talked him out of that. Now the plan is to do a 'partial' circumnavigation.
We both have some kayaking experience. We've both been kayaking before, and even took a guided trip to the Apostle Islands (my friend hates going on guided trips so this one will be by ourselves). So we do have some experience, but don't know how to Eskimo roll or have a ton of solo experience. I also intend to re-take a kayak safety course down here in Florida before I go.
Now, time length is flexible. I imagine we probably 3-4 full days of kayaking, to allow for the travel to and from IR (which will be considerable, considering I live in Florida).
My questions are essentially this:
1) is there a length of shore that one could paddle that would be 'less risky' than other routes? Specifically, which route would you all recommend?
2) Are we insane for even considering this? My friend is less risk averse than I am, and is quite insistent on doing a shore-based route, so suggestions for the inland lakes routes will be for naught.
3) We obviously will be using PDF's. I also will rent a VHF radio and will be monitoring the weather.
4) I don't have a kayak and will be renting one.....I heard you can rent them from the Windigo or RH Lodge. This true? Do they have good touring/expedition kayaks?

Essentially I guess I'm looking for some reassurance. I have to admit that this trip is making me a little nervous.
Nick
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Re: Kayak Pre-planning trip

Post by Nick »

I just got back. I went out on the first boat and, for the first time ever, cut my trip short. Worst spring weather in memory. Three days of good paddling, then five days of gales and strong winds with no hope for improvement.

That said, your trip is totally dependent on the weather. We took the VII out and ended up starting in Windigo and paddled the south side. More places to pull up than the north side.

You mention you don't own a kayak. I don't think there are any rentals at IR that would be worthy of the paddling you want to do. You would not have a chance to test pack the boat, wouldn't be sure if your spray skirt would fit, etc. Most importantly, you would not have had a chance to do your rescue drills and recovery practices with your partner. Bad idea for any IR paddle.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Forcey
NewbieCake

Post by Forcey »

Thanks for the advice.

We are going in the last week of July, so I hope the weather will be more 'predictable', well, at least more consistent.
I don't own a kayak; am renting from an outfitter in Copper Harbor.

Have decided to do a trip with less exposure. After talking with a ranger at RH, think we will go to Duncan Bay (via either the horrific portage, or, if we have an excellent window, around Blake Point). BTW, I wonder what constitutes an 'excellent window'!
From there we will paddle around to FF bay and maybe to Belle Isle? Perhaps from there to Birch Island and then reverse course and go back to RH.
Trip certainly looks doable, and limits our time exposed to the "big water" environments. Wondering if this is a reasonable itinerary? And would this be reasonable for a 4 day 3 night trip? Any suggestions??
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

The weather is most consistent in July/Aug, but there are exceptions--on one trip there were 60mph winds the day before we went over (mid July), but didn't have any winds of major concern for 9 days after that. So you be careful and have contingency plans. The thing to remember about going around the points and open areas is that conditions can change very quickly--you could be calm in Merritt's Lane and Blake Point could be very dangerous. Wave conditions are dependent on currents as well as wind and that's not always obvious. So if it's starts getting questionable, turn around before you're in trouble and enjoy where you're at :D
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Forcey
NewbieCake

Post by Forcey »

Well thats encouraging! Sounds like making our way to Merritt Lane that 1st day we land at RH and staying there overnight. I hear that the waters are usually more calm during the morning. From Merritt Lane the next morning we can decide if attempting to go around Blake Point is manageable, if so, we'll make a run (or 'paddle') for it. Otherwise perhaps reversing course, portaging over Tobin to Duncan Bay. From there, anyone's guess. I'm wondering if a paddle to Belle Isle from Duncay Bay (or Duncan Narrows) is too much for 1 day. I know, so many variable to take into account, but I still am curious if you think its possible WITHOUT being a miserable, hard-charging day.
Damon S
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Damon S »

How much experience do you and your paddling partner really have?

For two paddlers headed out to the island on their own, I would emphasize that you should have some solid rescue skills between the two of you since you cannot roll. You mentioned renting a VHF? I would go ahead and buy one instead. There are alot of good waterproof radios out there right now and it's important to know your equipment. Get accustomed to it before heading out.

Not sure what kind of weather you guys encountered in the Apostles, but a good weather window for Blake Point is kind of a toss up. Sure, earlier in the morning the better. But the sea state can vary intensely from one side to the other. I've been around Blake at different times of the day with little or no wave activity, to crossing it and about an hour later it turned into a nasty cauldron from a strong noreaster. Your weather briefing on the VHF is fairly reliable, but don't depend on it like it's the gospel. Maintain a keen eye on the horizon and note any changes in temperature and wind.

RH to Duncan is an easy days paddle. I would recommend, with the time frame you've mentioned, the Five Finger area with only a camp at 2 spots....Duncan and Lane, or Duncan and Belle and back. You can easily day trip from those locations and have alot to explore, plus, be in an area that if weather did take a turn, you would have the option to portage out and still make the ferry back.

Your mention of your partners idea to circumnavigate with the experience you've mentioned concerns me. From a guided trip at the Apostles to a full out circumnavigation of IR is a huge step.

I'm not attempting to discourage. I'm just wondering about the skills between the two of you and have you practiced rescues together?

That trip will be a blast. I'm actually going to be up there with a few people July 20th.

Let me know if you have any questions....

Regards,

Damon
Forcey
NewbieCake

Post by Forcey »

Well, it was my friend's idea to circumnavigate the island, and I quickly shot it down. I agree, with our experience I think its more than a little foolhardy to attempt. I have to reiterate that we DO have kayaking experience, but dont have a lot of large lake experience by ourselves. This is why I've decided to come up with this alternate plan. Luckily, my buddy seemed to 'agree' that this alternate itinerary is a better idea.
Alternate Plan:
Day 1: Arrive in RH, camp at Merritt Lane (hopefully not full)
Day 2: Portage over to Duncan Bay, perhaps paddle from there to Belle Isle?
Day 3: Belle Isle and explore the surrounding areas
Day 4: Belle Isle back to Duncan Bay
Day 5: Portage back to RH, and out on the IQ.

:?: Wonder if we can make it back to RH by 2:45 for Departure from Belle Isle in the morning?

I will be taking 'possession' of my kayak on Saturday afternoon. Even though this is a less risky float plan, I think we will try practicing our rescues on Saturday afternoon/evening at Copper Harbor, before we leave the next morning on the Isle Queen.
I want to thank everyone for their honest opinions. I think your advice has convinced me that we should probably just go with the hellish portage from Tobin to Duncan Bay and avoid Blake Point all together.
:?: Anyone have any recommendations for good tent camping near Copper Harbor (for the night before)? Preferably a place where we can also practice our kayak rescues?
Damon S
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Damon S »

That plan seems fine, however, despite the warnings of Blake, don't rule it our altogether. It's actually a very beautiful area...the coastline on the northwest side is some great paddling up close to the bluffs.

Plus, from Merritt Lane, you can get a good idea of what BP may be doing, and turn back if you don't feel comfortable. The paddle from RH to Merritt is very short. If weather looks good on the ferry over, hell, paddle around Blake and head for Duncan Narrows. Then, you're already there and have avoided the portage!

Damon....
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Sounds like a good plan to me too! Last time I did the Tobin/Duncan portage it took about 2 1/2 hrs with 2 canoes, my wife, and 2 teenage daughters, none in great shape and with plenty of resting. My technique is to the haul the 1st load to the top of the ridge, go back down for the rest and then do the 2nd half. The hikes back without a load are actually restful and that breaks it up. Kayaks may take longer, but you're probably in better shape :) .

I think you could do Belle Isle to R.H. the same day and catch the boat, but I'd leave early in the morning esp. if you have to portage. I used to leave R.H. in the late afternoon and make Belle Isle by sundown, solo in a canoe, probably 5-6 hrs. If you can paddle the whole way it shouldn't be a problem--biggest issue is if you got to Blake Point and had to go back to the portage then that might create a problem. Camping at Duncan Bay, Duncan Bay Narrows, or Merritt Lane the night before would be a surer bet. If you have extra time before you leave, explore Tobin Harbor and/or hike out to Scoville Pt, a very gorgeous hike along the shore (4 miles round trip). Of course taking a shower and just hanging out in R.H. ain't bad either!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
James
NewbieCake

Post by James »

So i watched a documentary this winter about the Island and fell in love with it and am determined to take a kayaking trip this summer to the island. I have a rough idea of when i want to go, which is sometime around the beggining of August. Myself and a friend are planning on going. I am just wondering what some good routes would be and where I could aquire some charts/ maps to begin planning said route? I was thinking about making it around a 5 day trip. Also I have little or no kayaking equipment and would need to rent most of it. Would anyone know of a good outfitter around there to aquire the right things at a reasonable price. And also what would be some recomended equipment to bring out? I am a pretty active hiker so i knbow the basics, but am just curious to see if anyone has any intersting ideas about things to bring.

My friend has more sea kayaking experience than me, as I do mostly river paddling, but we are both very confidant about our skills. I would love to hear about anyones previous trips to get some ideas about what i need to begn planning today.
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

Lake Manganese, just out of Copper Harbor, is a great place to practice rescues - we took a course a few years back and that's where they held it. I don't think they allow camping there (it's owned by the DNR, who also run the State Park), but you could try setting up a tent and use the "I didn't know we couldn't do it" excuse if caught.

You could also just drive to the end of 41 and continue a few hundred yards on the dirt road and camp - not likely to get hassled. Fort Wilkins State Park is available but pricey.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather