Looking for Lake Info

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

walker
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Looking for Lake Info

Post by walker »

Hello fellow oudoor junkies,
This will be my 2 sons and my first trip to the island. We are planning on being on the island for 11 days in late August. :mrgreen: We are coming in from Copper Harbor and heading to Malone Bay and back. What are the best lakes to try and catch any type of fish? We would like to try and enjoy a fresh fish dinner at least once. We will have Mepps and Daredevils for pike, what else should we carry for panfish? Can you swim or wade in any of the inland lakes?
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Looking for Lake Info

Post by Ingo »

Look at "Fish List in Inland Lakes" under this link: http://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvisit/brochures.htm

Richie is generally regarded as the best pike lake. Not much in panfish, but northern and perch in just about every lake. Most folks like me stick to daredevils and mepps. I'm sure some better fisherman will weigh in!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Siskiwit is a good lake for pike and lakers, thought lakers are easier to catch early in the season as they come shallow.
Wood is great for pike along the bays opposite side of the portage entrance bay. Whittlesley is good around the shore for pike in the evenig and morning, around the island for walleye (jigging works well).
Ritchie is great for pike. Which way are you going back?
walker
NewbieCake

Post by walker »

Ingo wrote:Look at "Fish List in Inland Lakes" under this link: http://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvisit/brochures.htm

Richie is generally regarded as the best pike lake. Not much in panfish, but northern and perch in just about every lake. Most folks like me stick to daredevils and mepps. I'm sure some better fisherman will weigh in!
Thanks for the info, how about swimming in the lakes?
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

re Swimming, sure! There are leeches, but I've swam in Richie and Wood w/o getting any--usually just a quick dip though. Just don't wash with soap.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
mikep
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by mikep »

Here's a couple more lure suggestions. My son and I caught pike "at will" on Richie with black/gold and black/silver 5" floating rapalas. Also try a johnson silver spoon, there weedless and great for casting right into the reeds. The Mepps #5 with a squirrell tale and orange/red beads is a pike killer. Fish around the islands and shorelines by casting to the edge of the reeds, or into them. Most of the pike were around 26 inches.

Swam in both Richie and Wood without problems, except in '07 when a "no body contact, or drinking" was issued on Richie due to blue/green algae by the Park.

Good Luck.

Mike
colvinch
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by colvinch »

johnhens wrote:Siskiwit is a good lake for pike and lakers, thought lakers are easier to catch early in the season as they come shallow.
Wood is great for pike along the bays opposite side of the portage entrance bay. Whittlesley is good around the shore for pike in the evenig and morning, around the island for walleye (jigging works well).
Ritchie is great for pike. Which way are you going back?

Going to be on Whitlesley in a week and a half. I have read about the walleye around the island across from the campground, just wondering if this is true and if so what are you jigging. I was planning on using gumball jigs with rubber twist tail grubs and tipped with a minnow.....the minnow will be a gulp plastic or if I can find it will be dehydrated minnows.
moss13
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by moss13 »

Going to be on Whitlesley in a week and a half. I have read about the walleye around the island across from the campground, just wondering if this is true and if so what are you jigging. I was planning on using gumball jigs with rubber twist tail grubs and tipped with a minnow.....the minnow will be a gulp plastic or if I can find it will be dehydrated minnows.

Those islands may be great fishing spots but please keep your distance from the loon nests on those islands. Loons are scared easily and will abandon their babies if spooked. The loon call is probably my favorite wildlife sound in the wilderness.
Kevinl
Bushwacker

Post by Kevinl »

Right on Moss. I think there is some good informatin in the toilet at Whttlesey about time of year to avoid that island area and how far away you should stay. Fishing-wise, there's not a bad place on that entire lake.
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

colvinch wrote:
johnhens wrote:quote]

Any of the jig and rubber baits would be good, I like the gulp leeches and flukes. I would check with the NPS before you use dehydrated minnows, not sure about that. As moss and Kevin said check on the status of loons on the lakes, if they are nesting. Have fun and take pics!!!
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

walker wrote:Hello fellow oudoor junkies,
Can you swim or wade in any of the inland lakes?
Moskey Basin has a nice sandy swimming area in the little bay off the shelter area.
We swam in Siskiwit last fall, nice though rocky. You could swim at Wood lake from the landing area as the water drops off nicely.

Don't know if you plan on going through Chiippewa, there is good fishing there also!!
walker
NewbieCake

Post by walker »

johnhens wrote:
walker wrote:Hello fellow oudoor junkies,
Can you swim or wade in any of the inland lakes?
Moskey Basin has a nice sandy swimming area in the little bay off the shelter area.
We swam in Siskiwit last fall, nice though rocky. You could swim at Wood lake from the landing area as the water drops off nicely.

Don't know if you plan on going through Chiippewa, there is good fishing there also!!
Thanks for sharing your knowledge of the island, you and several others are quite helpful in making the most of short time we have on the island. :mrgreen: