Fishing at IR

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Fishing at IR

Post by philranger »

How about a little help for someone who wants to catch some fish.

What kind of tackle and lures would I need and what kind of fish can I expect to catch at:
McCargo, Chickenbone, Lake Richie, Moskey Basin, Chippewa Harbor? Mostly fishing from the shore or a pier. Any suggestions ye fishermen?
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Fishing at IR

Post by johnhens »

Mornin Wally,
You could bring a 2 pc 6' medium spinning rod with a 2000 series spinning reel spooled with 8# test line. Some people like telescoping rods, don't have any experience with them. I like Trilene XT. A few 9" 20# test leaders and a small selection of lures including Mepps #4 w/ squirrel tail hair w/ black and/or silver blades, Daredevils (red and Whitestripped or my favorite Five of Diamonds, some like the weedless feature of a Johnson Silver minnow, and a few Rapallas, I like minnow color, perch. If you really want to some fun, bring a long a Zara Spook or the like for topwater action. Remember to pinch the barbs on the hooks to facilitate release of pike. I cut one hook off treble hooks this year which made it easier to unhook fish.
Don't forget long foreceps to remove swallowed hooks and jaw spreaders help also.
philranger
Bushwacker

Post by philranger »

Thanks John.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Kevinl »

Like John said, good variety of Mepps, and a couple spoons. Leaders are a must.

Only difference I have with John is I prefer 6 pound line and telescoping rods. I like the rods because they take up so little space. I roll them up in my sleeping pads. If you can wade out past the weed lines, you should be in for a great time.
philranger
Bushwacker

Post by philranger »

Thanks Kevin
Don_P
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Don_P »

Backpacking gear I know, fishing gear I don't, except that I can't use an open face reel. Is something like this overkill?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

or one of these?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

I don't want to spend big bucks because I don't fish that often but would like to fish when we go in August.
kfinnguy
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by kfinnguy »

I was wondering what is the best way to pack your fishing pole, by using ties?
"The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences."
— Chris McCandless
philranger
Bushwacker

Post by philranger »

We hand carried them onto the VII. Once on the island, we took the poles apart and put them inside of the air mattress. Didn't have any problems.
KillerKowalski
NewbieCake

Post by KillerKowalski »

So, I never fished Northern Pike before. Only large mouth at my P's cottage. With that said, I need some help!

I want to fish when I go in mid June. Do I need a lead? What pound test line? What about a glove to handle them?

I am okay on lures, rod, and a reel.

Thanks in advance for all replies!
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

You will need steel leaders. Line test is not a big deal if you have a net, most pike are on the small side - I would say 6 pound would be fine. If you are going to need to hoist them up on shore you might want to go with a heavier line. Pike are not easily spooked by larger diameter line.

NO LIP LANDING!!!!

Have fun.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather