Pigeon Point

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

KeyMeKoe
NewbieCake

Pigeon Point

Post by KeyMeKoe »

How is the landing and camping at Pigeon Point, MN? It seems when kayaking from Grand Portage to Isle Royale that the logical crossing points are from Pigeon Point to Huginnin Cove. I would probably want to put in at Grand Portage paddle to and camp at Pigeon Point and then leave early next morning to Huginnin Cove. Is this the way it is generally done?
Capt Don
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 546

Re: Pigeon Point

Post by Capt Don »

Camping is not allowed on Pigeon Point or Bay or the the Susie Islands, nor is it accessible by road or trail, it is Reservation land. Camping in Grand Portage is restricted to the R/V park/campgound on Grand Portage Bay. You could paddle from Hat Point Marina, where the Voyaguer and Wenonah dock then make your way to the island, this is the most common route if you consider 2 or 3 paddlers a year common.
Hope this helps.
KeyMeKoe
NewbieCake

Post by KeyMeKoe »

What about camping in Pine Bay, just north of Pigeon Point?
Capt Don
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 546

Post by Capt Don »

All of the land in Pine Bay is private, it is also Canadian. If you were able to find someone to let you camp there, (highly unlikely) you would have to clear US and Canadian customs numerous times to make the trip. In the past when I have inquired about clearing Canadian customs from the water they have required it to be done in Thunder Bay, not Pigeon River. I personally use a CanPass, this allows me to access Canadian land by means of boat from the US, to return to the US I have form I68 issued by US customs, it rquires that I call US customs and inform them of my return. Canada has no such requirement, a CanPass is $30, I68 is less than $20. Unfortunately this still doesn't resolve the camping issue, Grand Portage campground is still the nearest by quite a bit.