[DISCUSSION] Current weather conditions for Isle Royale on web?

Questions regarding Weather, Bugs, Northern Lights and other "natural" phenomena.

Moderator: drobarge

User avatar

fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Posts: 813
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:58 am
Isle Royale Visits: 12
Location: Soupe Towne, WI
Contact:

Re: Current Weather Conditions for Isle Royale are on the Web

Post by fonixmunkee » Wed May 17, 2017 8:57 am

Chorizo wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 8:36 am
This link is dead. These were nice forecasts as they were (as noted above) what you would find at the ranger stations. Anyone have an updated link? Couldn't find one at a glance.
I did a quick Google and got this, but there's no reports currently published:
http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php ... glossary=1

Will need someone else to confirm if this is indeed the new spot for these or not.
Sometimes you feel like a nut :: http://twitter.com/fonixmunkee

User avatar

hooky
IR Expert
Posts: 527
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:26 am
Isle Royale Visits: 2
Location: Central Indiana

Re: [DISCUSSION] Current weather conditions for Isle Royale on web?

Post by hooky » Wed May 17, 2017 9:34 am

http://www.weather.gov/mqt/ gets you pointed in the right direction.

Duluth might be useful too http://www.weather.gov/dlh/

Rock of Ages and Passage Island buoys have current conditions, but no forecast.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=pilm4

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=roam4


Chorizo
LNT Expert
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 6:12 am
Isle Royale Visits: 18
Location: Harshaw, WI

Re: Current Weather Conditions for Isle Royale are on the Web

Post by Chorizo » Wed May 17, 2017 12:10 pm

fonixmunkee wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 8:57 am
Chorizo wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 8:36 am
This link is dead. These were nice forecasts as they were (as noted above) what you would find at the ranger stations. Anyone have an updated link? Couldn't find one at a glance.
I did a quick Google and got this, but there's no reports currently published:
http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php ... glossary=1

Will need someone else to confirm if this is indeed the new spot for these or not.
Yeah that's all I could find too. Maybe I will have to make a quick call to Houghton.

User avatar

Ingo
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1431
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:11 pm
Isle Royale Visits: 10
Location: Hillsborough, NC

Re: [DISCUSSION] Current weather conditions for Isle Royale on web?

Post by Ingo » Wed May 17, 2017 12:45 pm

I look at the wunderground forecasts for Grand Marais, MN and Copper Harbor, MI and take the "worst". We know it's just rough guess in any case...
https://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/fi ... rais%2C+MN
https://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/fi ... rbor%2C+MI


Chorizo
LNT Expert
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 6:12 am
Isle Royale Visits: 18
Location: Harshaw, WI

Re: [DISCUSSION] Current weather conditions for Isle Royale on web?

Post by Chorizo » Wed May 17, 2017 12:45 pm

OK, here we go. I called Houghton and the ranger kindly emailed me this link. Were headed over on Monday 5/22. Time to start watching the forecast.
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... TextType=2


johnhens
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1492
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:10 pm
Isle Royale Visits: 33
Location: Big Rock, IL

Re: [DISCUSSION] Current weather conditions for Isle Royale on web?

Post by johnhens » Wed May 17, 2017 12:51 pm

Chorizo wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 12:45 pm
OK, here we go. I called Houghton and the ranger kindly emailed me this link. Were headed over on Monday 5/22. Time to start watching the forecast.
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... TextType=2
The Recreation forescast usually resumes around Memorial Day.

User avatar

fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Posts: 813
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:58 am
Isle Royale Visits: 12
Location: Soupe Towne, WI
Contact:

Re: [DISCUSSION] Current weather conditions for Isle Royale on web?

Post by fonixmunkee » Fri May 19, 2017 6:50 am

Chorizo wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 12:45 pm
OK, here we go. I called Houghton and the ranger kindly emailed me this link. Were headed over on Monday 5/22. Time to start watching the forecast.
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... TextType=2
Thanks Chorizo. I'll update the stickied post.
Sometimes you feel like a nut :: http://twitter.com/fonixmunkee

User avatar

Tom
Forum Moderator
Posts: 688
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:16 pm
Isle Royale Visits: 12
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota

Re: [DISCUSSION] Current weather conditions for Isle Royale on web?

Post by Tom » Mon May 22, 2017 7:21 am

OK, the official "Recreational Report" is back for the season and in a new location/URL. This is the classic "hanging at the ranger station" report and includes wave predictions.
http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php ... suedby=MQT

User avatar

Ingo
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1431
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:11 pm
Isle Royale Visits: 10
Location: Hillsborough, NC

Re: [DISCUSSION] Current weather conditions for Isle Royale on web?

Post by Ingo » Thu May 03, 2018 10:27 pm

I think you can safely add Mount Ojibway: https://www.wunderground.com/personal-w ... ?ID=MOJIM4
Although labeled as "Welcome Island, ON" on wunderground, the coordinates and elevation appear correct (48.109 -88.607 > 1131 ft). As well as the MOJI id.

User avatar

fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Posts: 813
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:58 am
Isle Royale Visits: 12
Location: Soupe Towne, WI
Contact:

Re: [DISCUSSION] Current weather conditions for Isle Royale on web?

Post by fonixmunkee » Fri May 04, 2018 8:23 am

Ingo wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 10:27 pm
I think you can safely add Mount Ojibway: https://www.wunderground.com/personal-w ... ?ID=MOJIM4
Although labeled as "Welcome Island, ON" on wunderground, the coordinates and elevation appear correct (48.109 -88.607 > 1131 ft). As well as the MOJI id.
Added, thanks Ingo!
Sometimes you feel like a nut :: http://twitter.com/fonixmunkee

Post Reply