bugs, late August/September

Questions regarding Weather, Bugs, Northern Lights and other "natural" phenomena.

Moderator: drobarge

csavolt
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

bugs, late August/September

Post by csavolt »

Headed to IR in alittle over a week and am wondering about the bugs at this time of the year. I was originally thinking they wouldn't be too bad but with all the rain we have had this summer I'm not so sure anymore!

Any ideas from people who have been recently ?
skibike69
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: bugs, late August/September

Post by skibike69 »

Was there 8-13 thru 8-17. Almost no bugs at all.
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

I only saw one or two mosquitoes. I was there from August 10, until the Queen was finally able to get us on Tuesday (August 17). Flies were biting me at Daisy Farm, Moskey, Caribou Island and Tookers Island. They tried at Rock Harbor as well, killed many of them at a time. Since it was a dry summer not as many as in the past.
laqtis
NewbieCake

Post by laqtis »

I was on the island from 8/21-8/26. Did RH to Daisy, then the Minong from Windi to McCargo. Mozzies were there in very small numbers in the shade areas between ups; one of the "inbetweens" had a bunch of "bee-like" bugs all over the place on the yellow flowers, but never stung us or bothered us. Thought that was weird. There is a beehive on the trail (old stump) on your way to Todd Harbor from Little Todd that you should watch out for (got stung three times). Biting flies were in some places, but neither the mozzies or the black flies were much of a hassle at all.