Bug report July 2011

Questions regarding Weather, Bugs, Northern Lights and other "natural" phenomena.

Moderator: drobarge

luci734
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Bug report July 2011

Post by luci734 »

Just got back from IR on July 5th and the bugs where nasty! :evil: Put Deet on a few times a day and had to wear the head net once in a while. We did the Rock harbor to Belle Isle rout... Tobin/duncan portage, lane cove..... Belle Isle wasn't too bad. Duncan bay Campground was nasty. Had to eat our food in the shelter. Black flies and mosquitoes mainly.
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Re: Bug report July 2011

Post by Backpacker534 »

Sorry to hear about that, Luci734, but I know how you feel. I've done the "walk around camp with my headnet while trying to eat" thing before. Nothing worse to me than being the main course for a bunch of blood-thirsty mosquitoes, black flies, gnats, etc. Constantly swatting bugs and itching from their bites is not fun. Plus, DEET always leaves you feeling sticky and it doesn't play well with plastic lens caps for cameras, either, as I learned on one trip.

My son and I will be on the island from August 27-September 1. I hope the bugs are mostly gone by that time. Keeping my fingers crossed....
zims
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by zims »

Thanks luci, I am heading there next week and I am really hoping that they subside. Did you try the stuff you spray on your clothes for bugs? I am wondering if it works. Already planning on hitting the shelters at washington creek hope there not bad there. Thanks for your trip report.
egraetze
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by egraetze »

Early this past week (week of the 18th), Windigo through South Desor, then to Todd Harbor was pretty bad for mosquitoes. Todd Harbor to McCargoe this past Tuesday was brutal, and probably the worst I ever experienced. The eastern end of the island later in the week was fairly good. Reports from the past week on the Greenstone (week of the 11th), was that it was OK.
Eric
zims
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by zims »

Ok people, it has been a week and a half since I returned home and want to go back. Bugs were not as bad as I assumed they would be. Head nets at night and wore long sleeve lightweight shirt during day. One squirt of deet a day on bandana around neck and didnt have any problems.