Recent bug report?

Questions regarding Weather, Bugs, Northern Lights and other "natural" phenomena.

Moderator: drobarge

srparr
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Recent bug report?

Post by srparr »

Heading to the island next Friday; I know bugs are traditionally few the first week of September, but does anyone have a first hand account from a recent trip?
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: Recent bug report?

Post by Tom »

Just returned from a short excursion. Flies were non existent, and mosquitos seemed quite light*. Really nothing during the day (it was sunny and warm, though) except when I was hiking the Hugginin loop, and few areas found a few bugs. I was only in the Windigo/Huginnin areas, though, but those areas seem pretty dry... In the evenings, a few moquitoes would hover about, but nothing too annoying. I didn't wear any bug dope on the trip, if that says anything...

*For purposes of full disclosure, I'm one of those peculiarities of nature that doesn't react to mosquito bites... So, it possibly doesn't bother me the same way as others (having them bite you) since I'm not impacted the same. My tolerance may be higher.
srparr
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by srparr »

Tom wrote:Just returned from a short excursion... I didn't wear any bug dope on the trip, if that says anything..."
Thanks Tom! We have a new guy going with us this year on his first backpacking trip, and he is trying to figure out how much bug dope to bring.

BTW, I envy you your mosquito resistance. It always seems to take me a couple days to get to the point where I can ignore them, but they always cause a reaction bump.
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Backpacker534 »

Spent 5 days on the island (Aug. 27 - Sept. 1) between Feldtmann Lake, Siskiwit Bay and Windigo/Washington Creek. The bugs were virtually non-existent. I think I got three mosquito bites the entire trip.
ffinmich
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by ffinmich »

Just got back on the 5th, for 5 days, few bugs, but hardly none, didnt need any spray