Insects on the Greenstone Ridge

Questions regarding Weather, Bugs, Northern Lights and other "natural" phenomena.

Moderator: drobarge

lahai1dj
NewbieCake

Insects on the Greenstone Ridge

Post by lahai1dj »

My understanding is that the Greenstone Ridge trail is drier and therefore one is buffered from the ferocious onslaught of bugs while hiking on it. How accurate is this characterization? Is the Greenstone Ridge tolerable during the mosquito laden months of June and July?

I'd like to be well prepared for a hike from Windigo to Rock Harbor this summer. Thanks!
David

"solitude is the school of genius" --Edward Gibbon
Vandy
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Re: Insects on the Greenstone Ridge

Post by Vandy »

I was on the Greenstone the last week of June last year.
As long as I kept moving the mosquitoes were tolerable.
When I stopped for a break at Ishpeming tower, I couldn't get moving again quickly enough.
They were intolerable.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

I was on the Greenstone the length of the island last year in early June. The black flies and mosquitos were horrid. I had a head net and long sleeves. The head net helped, but the bugs bite me through my sleeves even.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
LeftOvers
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by LeftOvers »

There are stretches where you're out in the open and the wind can keep them from bothering you, but it never seemed to me that they were much better in the thickets there than the thickets downhill.
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

I have one July trip planned this year and just the way people are speaking of their bug experiences reminds me of the one time I went in July of 2004. The flies and mosquitos were horrible on the Rock Harbor Trail. Not being able to stop for long periods of time even with headnets on is going to make this a difficult trip for my girlfriend. She needs occasion breaks, while I cannot be encouraged enough by the mosquitos to run as fastly as I can. Oh how I loved my May and September trips. Oh well, at least I got an October on this year :)
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)