Early spring for the bugs?

Questions regarding Weather, Bugs, Northern Lights and other "natural" phenomena.

Moderator: drobarge

Wilderness Junkie
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Early spring for the bugs?

Post by Wilderness Junkie »

Anyone thinking the bugs are going to be early this spring with this rediculously mild winter? I'm planning my trip for the first week in June and I'm starting to worry the bugs will be at least a couple weeks early due to the mild winter. I'd love to change it too 2 weeks earlier, but the ferry schedule doesn't work out for me and I'm guessing the float plane can't accomodate 2 kayaks.....
drobarge
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 24

Re: Early spring for the bugs?

Post by drobarge »

Bugs must be early this year, I already have ants in my pants to get back to the island.
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by IncaRoads »

Picked an engorged deer tick off my dog yesterday (about 2 months earlier than normal). Not much snow cover in the regional county park we frequent for our daily walks. And the daytime highs have been getting into the low 40's.
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

I'm going to predict that if we keep having weather like this, people that go during the begining of May may even experience some bugs at various places in the island. In June though, I almost have to believe you are going to encounter some aggravation with them. I'm crossing my fingers for you. Who knows maybe we'll start getting hit with some normal types of whether for the month we're currently in to lead us believe that likewise weather that is appropriate for May will come along to grace us. Its all a crap shoot, one can only hope for the best.
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
dlang
NewbieCake

Post by dlang »

We plan to arrive in the third week of June. Please suggest how to deal with the bugs at this point in the summer especially in light of the early bug cycle this season. Thanks.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

I'm not familiar with the relationship between weather in Houghton and on IR, but this week the Houghton forecast is calling for lows between 22 and 30F for 4 nights. Hopefully that will translate to something similar on IR and serve to knock them down a little bit.

If this isn't the case, I don't want to know. Just let me have some deluded peace of mind about the number of bugs at the end of May. :wink:
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by IncaRoads »

dlang - welcome to the I.R. Forums.

As how to deal with the bugs: deet based insect repellent and a headnet.
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

I have never brought anything for bugs with me on any of my first boat trips and I have never wanted it. One year (2009) I ran into a couple of early "dumb" mosquitoes and that was the only time. However, this year I going to be bringing it with me due to the warm weather and lack of snowpack. I am thinking this will also be my first spring trip where there will not be any snow remaining to be seen. On the plus side, the trees may be budding and it will not look so desolate.

I will post the conditions I discover when I get back to the mainland on May 13th or 14th.
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
drobarge
Bushwacker

Post by drobarge »

Yes bugs are early this year. We have already had mosquitos, woodticks and various other flying and crawling whatchajiggers during the warmer spells. That was in march, unheard of up here, and it's now April. Cooler temps. have been keeping our creepy little friends at bay for April. I was on the lake a few days ago and can re-assure you that with water temps still in the 30's it is still ALOT cooler out there, even on the warm days. I can't imagine too many bug blooms on the island, at least near the lake, until the lake temps rise a little more(not likley to happen in May).

Another factor I haven't heard much mention of is that we have been exeptionally dry up here this spring, not good for our biting buddies.

All in all I have an albeit un-scientific opinion that the early spring will be offset by dryer conditions making for an average bug count during May and June. There will however be hatches which for a few days after (especially with flies and ticks) can make woodslife seem a little insane. A is impossible to plan around, just hope for the best!
zims
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by zims »

:lol: hello everyone happy spring-
yes dlang deet is the only way to combat bugs, also with a headnet and I have found that investing in a couple pieces of clothing that already have some insect repel in them greatly improves your comfort. I think I found my insect socks at cabellas and love them. The bugs come with the beauty of the island. It is true though, 100% deet was the only defense that worked. good luck enjoy!
alecto73
Trailblazer

Post by alecto73 »

At least right now, bugs are pretty much a non-issue. Never needed any juice or my headnet.
|| Jess ||
drobarge
Bushwacker

Post by drobarge »

Noither have I Jess, but it is on the brink of buggyness up there whithin' the next week.
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

4 mosquitos hoovering together between 5/1-5/8. They were as slow as could be and I believe asking themselves why they had hatched so early in the season. They probably died minutes after passing them. Silly Skeeters.
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
NancyT
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by NancyT »

We hit quite a few bugs, mostly mosqitos and bees at Belle Isle and Merrit. Mike said it was the first spring trip that there were that many bugs. We had to look before we picked anything up as the bees were on everything.
~ISLE ROYALE INFO~
"A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park"
http://www.isleroyale.info
hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

We go in on the 29th. Sounds like we'll need our headnets. :(