Bug update - As of May 25th

Questions regarding Weather, Bugs, Northern Lights and other "natural" phenomena.

Moderator: drobarge

Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Bug update - As of May 25th

Post by Tom »

Just returned from the Isle. A Trip Report will be posted in the coming days, but wanted to refresh the forum on the current bug status, since I know folks always like these things...
Mosquitos are out, as expected. Cooler weather and light breeze keeps them at bay, but if you lack either of those, they'll come around. However, numbers aren't that large yet.
We found them most pestering at Daisy Farm and Chippewa, while Threemile and Moskey seemed lighter.

Horse/Barn flies are out, but in light numbers. They'll be more active when it's sunny. We found them only at Daisy farm, and up on the ridge trails.
While I didn't see them, a reliable source (Bucket Bob) indicates he experienced some Black Flies up on the Greenstone. That wouldn't surprise me, and I think we would have found them if we were up there longer. I think it will be an earlier hatch year.

However, in all cases, the numbers were low enough that we didn't have to wear bug dope, or headnets just yet, but getting close to that threshold.
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Bug update - As of May 25th

Post by IncaRoads »

Like Tom, I just returned from the island on Thursday, May 24. Hiked the Feldtmann Loop Trail in 6 days / 5 nights.

Did not use the head net or bug dope the whole trip. Saw about 10 black flies. And a few mosquitoes. It rained quite a bit for four of the days and that may have helped to keep the bugs down.

The worst were the stable flies the first night out at a backcountry site on Grace Harbor (May 19). Those ankle biters were out in large numbers since it was a hot and sunny day.