Rain!

Questions regarding Weather, Bugs, Northern Lights and other "natural" phenomena.

Moderator: drobarge

fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Rain!

Post by fonixmunkee »

I'm at home in Superior, WI right now fighting to keep my basement dry. But my thoughts are with those on Isle Royale right now... I hope they are safe and relatively dry.

My weather station says a tad over 4" in a few hours, and with more to come. There's flooding all over the North Shore, and this system is heading right at the island.

I know the kindness on IR and hope those with shelters opened their doors, and I hope the Rangers did their diligence to warn visitors.

Here's hoping for a safe and dry return to everyone there... Including our own photosean and Jerry.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
drobarge
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 24

Re: Rain!

Post by drobarge »

In case some don't know.. the U.S. weather radar has a blind spot over the island. here is a link to Environment Canada radar.

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/radar/in ... tml?id=XNI
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by IncaRoads »

drobarge wrote:the U.S. weather radar has a blind spot over the island
The NOAA Marquette MI Radar covers Isle Royale.

http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/radar.ph ... 11&loop=no
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator

Post by fonixmunkee »

Some pics of the flooding a block or two from my house:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1182253591 ... directlink
drobarge
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 24

Post by drobarge »

there is a good example of the radar blind spot right now. ( 8:35 est)

http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/full_loop.php
treeplanter
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Post by treeplanter »

No doubt the arrowhead of Minnesota, and Isle Royale, need the rain. The western Great Lakes, meaning lake Superior, have been experiencing bellow normal precipitation for several years now. All this rain flowing onto Lake Superior can only help the water levels.

As for campers on Isle Royale, you take your chances when you camp in a wilderness park. I've spent three solid days stuck in a shelter at Duncan Bay Narrows in 1999. That's all part of the experience.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator

Post by fonixmunkee »

treeplanter wrote:No doubt the arrowhead of Minnesota, and Isle Royale, need the rain.
Surely you are right, but not at the cost of peoples' homes and livelihoods (and a few zoo animals). Hasn't Mother Nature learned the word "gradual"? Easssssse into normal lake levels.

Sent from my GT-P7310
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator

Post by fonixmunkee »

treeplanter wrote:No doubt the arrowhead of Minnesota, and Isle Royale, need the rain.
Surely you are right, but not at the cost of peoples' homes and livelihoods (and a few zoo animals). Hasn't Mother Nature learned the word "gradual"? Easssssse into normal lake levels.

Sent from my GT-P7310
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

The island got 4" of rain. Apparently a 57" seiche was recorded at Windigo. A USFWS boat got caught under a dock when the water went out and ended up sinking.
Also 70 MPH winds were recorded. The NWS called IR before the storm so they could get a warning out to people on the water.
It will be interesting to hear of downed trees given the high winds.
treeplanter
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Post by treeplanter »

johnhens wrote:The island got 4" of rain. Apparently a 57" seiche was recorded at Windigo. A USFWS boat got caught under a dock when the water went out and ended up sinking.
Also 70 MPH winds were recorded. The NWS called IR before the storm so they could get a warning out to people on the water.
It will be interesting to hear of downed trees given the high winds.
Those are incredible numbers, especially the 57" seiche. I am surprised to hear of the high winds. I'm guessing these accompanied some of the thunderstorms. I'll be going to the island in late August and will be looking for the effects of the rain and winds.

Siskiwit Falls must be really roaring!
Damon S
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Damon S »

John..

Man! Keep me updated!! I was just talking to Sarah about our trip to IR where we were attempting our 3rd circumnavigation of the island and were weathered in several times during the same exact time frame! Unbelievable. Hope all is well with everyone on IR!

Damon...
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Rock of Ages lighthouse recorded continuous wind speeds up to 39 mph and a 61 mph gust Weds am. Data isn't available for Passage Island.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
photosean
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by photosean »

I was alone at Hatchet Lake during the storm. Pretty intense. Multiple lightning strikes every few seconds and a few downed trees in the area. Winds were horrendous. The Greenstone was a river the entire next day ... as it kept raining.