Alcohol and mosquitoes

Questions regarding Weather, Bugs, Northern Lights and other "natural" phenomena.

Moderator: drobarge

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Alcohol and mosquitoes

Post by johnhens »

Mosquitoes attracted to beer drinkers. Researchers say
Insects are 15 per cent more likely to approach people who have downed a pint, possibly due to “reduced host defensive behaviors or highly nutritious blood-meals,” a new study finds.

A small study concludes that mosquitoes are drawn to beer drinks, possibly because “the metabolism of alcohol following beer consumption induces changes in breath and odor markers” that increase attraction to mosquitoes.

Turns out mosquitoes, just like the rest of us, enjoy nothing better than a pint on a hot summer day.
A study from the IRD Research Centre in France, and published in online journal PLoS One, found the insects are 15 per cent more likely to approach people who have downed a pint.

The researchers gave 25 men in Burkina Faso a common local brew called dolo, then released mosquitoes nearby.
Before the volunteers raised a pint, only 50 per cent of mosquitoes veered toward the patio crew. After consumption, that number rose to 65 per cent.
“Beer consumption consistently increased attractiveness to mosquitoes,” conclude the researchers.
When tried with water instead of hops and barley, the insects were six per cent less likely to fly toward the men.
“Water consumption did not affect these mosquito behavioral responses, demonstrating that beer was solely responsible for increased human attractiveness,” they write.

Previous research has found that heat, moisture and olfactory cues help attract mosquitoes — and these can be influenced by diet, general health and even pregnancy.
As for why the mosquitoes gravitated toward the beer drinkers, researchers were able to rule out increased carbon dioxide emission or body temperature, leading them to conclude the reasons are “currently unclear.” However, they “postulate that the metabolism of alcohol following beer consumption induces changes in breath and odor markers” that increase their attraction to mosquitoes.
Additionally, they say that mosquitoes might have evolved to have a preference for recent beer drinkers, “possibly due to reduced host defensive behaviors or highly nutritious blood-meals.” Meaning that after a few pints, you’re less likely to effectively swat them away, or even notice the bites until your buzz subsides.

More research is needed to discover whether other ingredients in beer, apart from alcohol, could be attracting the insects and whether other alcoholic beverages also increase the likelihood of bites.

The researchers hope the findings can help decrease the number of cases of malaria as they strive to understand the links between alcohol consumption and mosquito bites in West Africa.
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Re: Alcohol and mosquitoes

Post by MikeT »

I am willing to further this study with some tests on bourbon :wink:
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

MikeT wrote:I am willing to further this study with some tests on bourbon :wink:
In the interest of science and truth, I am willing to try different micro beers and record the affects of mosquitoes. Of course, this will require numerous "experiments" for accuracy and validity.
Perhaps we can get a grant for this.
The "experiments" should be done at the same time and place.
I am willing to do this in the Fall when it is cooler and the bugs are gone.
You?
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

I think you just explained why the skeeters seemed worse this year--it was a lodge stay instead of the backcountry.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Lucky Chicken »

johnhens wrote:
MikeT wrote:I am willing to further this study with some tests on bourbon :wink:
In the interest of science and truth, I am willing to try different micro beers and record the affects of mosquitoes. Of course, this will require numerous "experiments" for accuracy and validity.
Perhaps we can get a grant for this.
The "experiments" should be done at the same time and place.
I am willing to do this in the Fall when it is cooler and the bugs are gone.
You?
I wonder if homebrew has the same effect as microbrew... I will have to conduct a mirror study of yours. This research could go on for years... we will need to find investors!
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker

Post by Lucky Chicken »

I may have to add moonshine to the list to test too... lets be thorough here!
NancyT
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by NancyT »

I'm in, let me know when and where!!!
~ISLE ROYALE INFO~
"A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park"
http://www.isleroyale.info
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

One of my favorite things about this forum-the willingness of folks to help out.
This is going to be a good study.
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

I'm calling foul or hoax, or somebody wasting grant money.

"The researchers gave 25 men in Burkina Faso a common local brew called dolo, then released mosquitoes nearby."

Really? Have you checked to see where Burkina Faso is? It's pretty-much in the heart of mosquito-land. Why did they have to release thier own? How do you track mosquitoes? Are they banded like Geese?

"Before the volunteers raised a pint, only 50 per cent of mosquitoes veered toward the patio crew. After consumption, that number rose to 65 per cent."

Really? How did they count this?

Utter nonsense.
Last edited by Tampico on Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

I'll drink to that! :D
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
NancyT
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by NancyT »

As proof (pun intended) that there isn't much proof in the study....
Mike and I both drink, whether it be beer, wine, bourbon or moonshine, and we have varying results as far as skeeters....
They NEVER bother me and they swarm him. So in my theory, you've got a 50/50 ratio there.
~ISLE ROYALE INFO~
"A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park"
http://www.isleroyale.info
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker

Post by Lucky Chicken »

NancyT wrote:As proof (pun intended) that there isn't much proof in the study....
Mike and I both drink, whether it be beer, wine, bourbon or moonshine, and we have varying results as far as skeeters....
They NEVER bother me and they swarm him. So in my theory, you've got a 50/50 ratio there.
I'm in that boat... I drink outside all the time and am usually left alone, my wife dosen't usually drink and gets eaten up. I always figured it was because she was sweet and I am bitter (pun intended), but from what I can tell you arent bitter so... there goes my theory.... more testing needed :)