Solid ice from IR to Canada

Questions regarding Weather, Bugs, Northern Lights and other "natural" phenomena.

Moderator: drobarge

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Solid ice from IR to Canada

Post by johnhens »

Capt Don wrote:Thursday it as white with ice and snow all the way to the north side of the island from the Canadian bay I was in. Friday morning had high SW winds, the ice was moving up and down with the wave action as they passed under me 4 miles out on the lake. Soon the ice bewteen the island and me was nothing but big cresting waves. Still way too much wind, the lake is nothing but steam again out there. Too bad, hopefully the winds will subside long enough to get it locked up with the cold temps. It will take a minimum of 6 days well below freezing with no wind to get enough ice on the lake to keep it from moving and self destructing, that's a tall order though.
How was the fishing?
Capt Don
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 546

Post by Capt Don »

Hi John,

Fishing has been very good, nice lake trout 8 lbs. and up, whitefish up to 9 lbs. and even a 6 lb steelhead. Hopefully the ice will be here for a while, but I can always head up to Nipigon Bay, that's locked up well.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Capt Don:

Thought you might like this Laker (44") caught last week in Ontario, not too far from you.

http://youtu.be/AzsyuFJIBpY
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013